Various Streets

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 118

 
Caption
St Mary's Mixed and Infants Schools in Vane Terrace, Police Station behind in the mid 1960s Opened in 1888, the school closed in 1969 and pupils transferred to St Joseph's in Station Road

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 119

 
Caption
Building work beginning on Woodlands Estate c1961

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 120

 
Caption
8 Hunters Buildings / Green St corner 1950s At the time of this photograph the shop was operating as a grocer/general dealer. In 1858 Robert Henry Gardiner was a grocer here, by 1890 Mrs Alice Henderson baker and confectioner, 1910 Mrs Ellen Chambers, confectioner. A complete change in 1914 with Charles Underwood Hendry a boot and shoe maker, 1934, Richard Heron a butcher and 1938 Edward Maddison a ladies hairdresser. Do you know who owned this shop after Edward Maddison?

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 121

 
Caption
South Terrace in 1934. Edinburgh & Castle at left, originally number 13 South Terrace, later No 12 house and shop, numbers 10 and 11 South Terrace were apparently demolished during WW2, bomb damage? Number 10 would appear to have been a residence until c1925 when ir became a hairdresser's shop owned by Charles Pattison and also housed Benney and Laing, toy dealers Just off frame to the right was number 9, a butcher's shop, my father worked there from the age of 14 in 1925. Does anyone have a photograph of the shop either under the ownership of Ralph Scott or Lummy Hunter?

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 122

 
Caption
Unknown family photographed at The Lawns, Deneside in the 1940s

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 123

 
Caption
Castlereagh Aged Miners Homes, North Road, built in 1923.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 124

 
Caption
Brian Slee on his motorbike in Elm Crescent, Parkside, in the late 1960s

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 125

 
Caption
Building new Council Offices etc in 1965, now demolished

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 126

 
Caption
The original Theatre Royal which opened in 1873, prior to rebuild in 1901. Notice shops at ground floor. Gate to Golden Lion yard at right. If this photograph is earlier than about 1898, one of these gentlemen would be William Edward Chadwick, if later, Adam Chapman Harrison

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 126A

 
Caption
Detail from previous photograph.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 127

 
Caption
The Theatre Royal opened in November 1873, shown here shortly after being re-built in 1901. Became a cinema in October 1931, demolished in 1975, the Co-op supermarket was built on the site in 1977. The Golden Lion, originally the Golden Anchor was the first habitable building built in the new town of Seaham Harbour. The first school (private) opened in a first floor room here in 1830. The figure of the gold painted lion firs appeared in 1901 an was renewed by builder W Tomlin in 1935.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 128

 
Caption
Green Street and Hunters Buildings gone, the Theatre Royal in 1973, soon to be demolished in 1975.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 129

 
Caption
The Golden Lion in 2008, Noah's Ark and Back North Terrace to right.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 130

 
Caption
The very eastern end of Irish Back Street (Back South Railway Street) in 1955, the buildings here, shown more clearly in the next photograph, would have been the houses in Wight's Yard.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 131

 
Caption
Detail from previous photograph, the houses of Wight's Yard shown in sepia. Green Street and Theatre Royal behind.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7