Various Streets

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 055

 
Caption
Robert Forsters General Dealers shop at south west corner of Marlborough Street in 1958, he had traded here since 1934. Witten's Park and railway station are just off frame to the right.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 057

 
Caption
Bert Emery's Hairdressing shop at 90 Princess Rd at right in the early 1930's. Until the 1960s there were many shops in Princess Rd and Queen Alexandra Rd (over the bridge) Princess Rd and the road to front of Maureen Tce were laid with concrete base and 3" of Tarmac July/Aug 1931

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 059

 
Caption
West end of Hunters Buildings at junction with Green St c 1959. TW Tully's shop at left.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 060

 
Caption
Ellen Chambers grocer and shipping grocer at 1 South Cres in the 1930's. Looking south from the incline at dock top, Hunters Buildings to right. Conservative headquarters at the very eastern end of the south side of Church Street in the distance.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 061

 
Caption
Rear View of No.s 1 - 5 Cornelia Terrace and Prospect House prior to demolition c 1970. Photograph taken from the site of the former Marlborough Street.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 063

 
Caption
Theatre Royal in the 1970's, built in 1873, rebuilt in 1901 closed 1962 and demolished in 1975. generally known as the Gaff. The first films were shown here in 1907 during intervals in the stage shows.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 066

 
Caption
Vane Terrace from the north west in the 1960s. Looking from the police station in Londonderry Rd towards the Castlereagh Bridge.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 067

 
Caption
Cliff House in Tempest Road, built in the 1880s, demolished 1965. Rock House at right, Cliff House Garage at left.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 068

 
Caption
The Drill Hall Castlereagh Rd, looking east past the Co-op to North Railway Street in 1905.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 069

 
Caption
Rear of North Rd houses at right, Brookside Villas centre and theToll Cottage at left on the north side of the dene, built 1834, the Toll Cottage became a private dwelling after the bridge was demolished in 1855. the cottage was demolished in the 1930's. Photograph c 1900.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 070

 
Caption
Toll Cottage from previous photograph showing what appears to be the northern end of the former bridge which crossed the dene at this point. The road to Seaham Colliery Station is also visible at left.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 071

 
Caption
View from St John's church tower in 1981. Looking west across Marlborough area to Deneside at top left, Seaham Colliery at centre and Seaton at right.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 072

 
Caption
View from St John's church tower in 1981. Looking north across Marlborough Surgery to, from left to right, Telephone Exchange, Vane Tempest Colliery, Co-op, Spiritualist's Hall, Castlereagh Hotel, Vane House, Vane Tce, Henry St and the Blandford Hotel.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 073

 
Caption
View from St John's church tower in 1981. Looking north across Trustee Savings Bank to Blandford Place.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 074

 
Caption
View from St John's church tower in 1981. Blandford Place at centre, the Arcade already closed, by this time an indoor market which itself closed a few years ago. Church St at right.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 075

 
Caption
View from St John's church tower in 1981. Supermarket newly built on the site of the National School, bus station, library, short-lived Council Offices etc, Viceroy St and Dawdon Colliery behind.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 076

 
Caption
View from St John's church tower in 1981. Looking south-east to Dawdon Colliery. Houses at right centre are built on the site of Sophia St and the Presbyterian Church which was totally destroyed by German landmine on 16 May 1943.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 077

 
Caption
View of Church Street from St John's church tower in 1981. Supermarket newly built on the site of the former National school provided by Lady Londonderry in 1848.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 078

 
Caption
View of Vane Tempest Colliery from St John's church tower in 1981.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 079

 
Caption
Tempest Place with Co-op building behind, Police Station and Rock House from the Dene in 1899.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7