Various Streets

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 036

 
Caption
Emily St from the west end in the 1960's. Demolished early 1970s. Seaham Harbour Conservative Club is visible at the bottom of the street. During the early 1950s and possibly earlier the shop at left was a sweet shop owned by Mrs Wright, wife of Sid Wright who lived in Springfield Crescent.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 037

 
Caption
Photograph Oct 65, north side of Marlborough St demolished. Station Hotel and Railway Station at top of street not demolished until 1971. Rear of Cornelia Tce visible at right. Calvert's ladies hairdressers at left.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 038

 
Caption
Marlborough Street, building started around 1855 and finished about 20 years later. Photographed in 1899 from Blandford Place. Iron railings removed during WW2. The building at left is now LLoyds TSB.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 038A

 
Caption
The Theatre Royal shortly after being rebuilt in 1901 and the Golden Lion already 72 years old. South Railway Street at right.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 039

 
Caption
Western end of Marlborough Street showing Station and Station Hotel. The Station Hotel was built in 1855 closed Sept 1968 and was demolished in 1971. Photo c 1908

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 040

 
Caption
Caroline Street, Oddfellow's Hall at centre, National School and Church St at far right in the 1960's. Looking north west.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 041

 
Caption
Police Station in Tempest Rd built 1861 demolished 1975.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 042

 
Caption
The Braddyll public house at left with Adolphus Street behind, South Terrace to right, photographed from the Dock Top area c 1920.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 043

 
Caption
Rear of Alexandrina Street to left, rear of Frederick Street to right, looking west in the 1960s. Still common practice to have coals tipped in the street , they were then shovelled into the coalhouse through the coal-hatch in the wall. "Putting loads in" was a local industry.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 044

 
Caption
Rear of Alexandrina Street to left, rear of Frederick Street to right, looking west in the 1960s. Still common practice to hang washing out to dry in the street.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 045

 
Caption
Rear of the Londonderry Offices, North Terrace, ( Police Station ) in the 1970s. South Railway Street just visible at right.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 046

 
Caption
Rear of Tempest Place looking NW from Henry St towards Police Station c 1960. Rear of Vane Tce at left of frame.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 047

 
Caption
Snow plough in Malvern Cres c 1969. Photograph Andrew Chadwick.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 048

 
Caption
Adolphus Street c 1950. Demolished c1960s

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 049

 
Caption
Building Portland Avenue, Deneside in 1929. The houses were finished and occupied long before the roads were laid. Deneside was originally known as Carr House Estate after Carr House Farm.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 050

 
Caption
Subway between Lord Street and Ropery Walk flooded c 1930? This, the original subway was completely demolished along with numbers 7-11 Frederick Street in a German air raid on 15th Feb 1941.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 051

 
Caption
Cornelia Tce 1928.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 052

 
Caption
Viceroy St Infants School 11/7/1906. As the surrounding slum streets were demolished in the 1960s the number of pupils fell until in 1972 there were only 23 and the school closed. The school was then used as a Teachers' Centre for several years. Demolished 1988. Built in 1898 it was damaged by a German landmine on the 16th of May 1943. In the same air-raid 113 houses and the Presbyterian Church were completely demolished 1120 other buildings damaged, 33 killed and 147 injured.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 053

 
Caption
South side of Marlbrough Street, Calverts ladies hairdresser at left. Photograph probably mid sixties. The north side of Marlborough St was demolished first c 1967.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 054

 
Caption
Royal Fish Saloon at the junction of Green St and Back Church St c 1934. This building is at the rear of what is now Elves Greengrocery business.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7