Various Streets

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 001

 
Caption
House in Irish Back Street, (Back South Railway Street) c 1925, see location in STREETS/CENTRAL AREA INDEX, number 46 at centre/bottom of photograph.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 002

 
Caption
' Netty ', communal tap and coalhouse in yard behind Hunter's Buildings c 1930. This toilet might not look too inviting but it was a great improvement on the earlier, dry, ash-pit netties.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 003

 
Caption
From right, Drill Hall 1888,headquarters of 2nd Durham (Seaham) Volunteer Artillery Brigade, first catholic church (school to rear )1869*, police station 1861, Tempest Place, Wesleyan Chapel **, Londonderry Institute ( not visible ) and finally Rutland House. * Catholic community had formerly worshipped in the Lord Seaham Hotel. ** The chapel was originally built by the Independent Methodists c 1860 and taken over by the Wesleyans in 1881

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 004

 
Caption
Marlborough St built 1856-70, Station Hotel and Railway Station at top of street. Railings removed during WW11, Photo late 1920's

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 005

 
Caption
Castlereagh Rd, rear of Drill Hall in foreground (1888), Co-op behind, looking east to North Railway St in the distance c 1905. The drill Hall became Barran's Clothing Factory in 1958 it was mostly destroyed by fire in 1986.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 006

 
Caption
Looking past the western side of Sophia St to St John's Church c 1930

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 007

 
Caption
Castlereagh Hotel to the left opened 1878, became the Carlton in 1982 and closed in the 1990s. Vane Tce to the right, Cliff House at end of street. Junction with Castlereagh Rd at front left. Photograph c 1930.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 007A

 
Caption
Detail from previous photograph, Cliff House built c1880s, demolished 1965.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 008

 
Caption
Looking west up Castlereagh Rd past the Co-op and Drill Hall to the ancient Dene House Farm. Photo c 1930

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 008A

 
Caption
The ancient Dene House Farm, demolished c1955. Photograph c1930, detail from previous photograph.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 009

 
Caption
Dene House Farm

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 010

 
Caption
The Volunteer Arms at 43 Frances Street around 1950. Frances Street built 1860s, The "Vol" opened 1873 but operated as an unnamed beer house from 1865, the street was demolished around 1960 but the pub still stands.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 011

 
Caption
South Crescent in the early 1900's. The foundation stone of the Londonderry Arms, centre, was laid on the same day as that of the dock, Nov 28 1828. Although it has the reputation of being Seaham Harbour's first building, the first finished, habitable building was the Golden Lion. Probably open by 1830, re-named Sylvia’s c 1980s. From the early 1830s, stagecoaches left here for Sunderland, their arrival and departure announced by a bugler. Closed c 2006. Now a Thai restaurant "Pan Din Thai". Jessie Robson's tobacconists shop at No 5 (left).

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 012

 
Caption
Prefabs on Station Rd erected after WW2 as temporary housing they lasted until c 1970. Earl Street and Duke Street in background at right. There were also prefabs at Deneside and in the Viceroy St area near the town centre.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 013

 
Caption
Children in a yard at the rear of South Terracein the early 1930s.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 014

 
Caption
Viceroy St 1958. westwards from the gable end at left, the rest of the street was destroyed by a German landmine in 1943.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 015

 
Caption
The yard of 48 Marlborough Street looking south towards the rear of Emily Street. Photograph 1950s or 60s.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 016

 
Caption
Green Street looking north in the early 1950s. Built around 1830 this street was originally known as Cheapside, the name was officially changed in 1861. The houses/shops shown were opposite the Theatre Royal. Dilapidated in the photograph and near the end of their days these shops would have been successful businesses in a prime spot for over a hundred years.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 017

 
Caption
Green Street, opposite Theatre Royal, Green St was originally known as Cheapside or Cross St and became Green St in 1861. Cul de sac to left serves rear of Hunters Buildings and rear of the north eastern section of Church St. Church St is just off frame to right. Photograph early 1950s.

Thumbnail Image Table

ST 018

 
Caption
Junction of Frances Street and Green Street in the early 1950s. The photograph would have been taken from a first floor back room in South Terrace.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7