Streets central area.....Select a picture to enlarge

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Mrs Nixon's Bridge House Drug Store' at the junction of North Railway St and Henry St. Formerly the Bridge Vaults (no records), the Bridge Hotel (1894) and a beer retailer in 1899. Became Nixons "Bridge House Drugstore" (and museum) sometime between 1921 and 1925. William Nixon had been a "Patent Medicine Vendor" at 8 North Railway St from sometime between 1914 and 1921 before moving to No 33. Photograph early 1950's

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Yard of No 43, street named but almost certainly William Street area, showing outside toilet, "netty" and what is or was probably a coalhouse. Photograph early 1930s.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Medical Officer Luke Dillon with residents in Back North Railway Street in the mid 1920's. The child holding Dr Dillon's hand is a boy, male children often wore girl's clothing until about 3 or 4 years old.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Summersons Buildings ( or Yard ), Henry St Photograph c 1930, Demolished 1934. Find location at Streets/Central Area Index 1928 (No 6) towards the bottom left corner of the photograph.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Looking west up the rear of William St c 1930, demolished 1934. The houses at right were Back William St and the building between the lamp posts was still standing or at least parts of it were in the mid 1950s if derelict, adjoining the yard of Rutland House in Tempest Road. Buildings running off to left where road narrows were Back Henry Street. The high building on skyline is the Co-op building and the high building at right is the Methodist Chapel in Tempest Rd.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11