Streets central area.....Select a picture to enlarge

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
The Kitty, North John Street, detail from previous photograph.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
The rear of 16 Back North Railway Street in 1918, Mrs Elizabeth Taylor at left, Paddy Duggan (with wooden leg) right.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
The southern end of Back North Tce, (near Noah's Ark), R K Wade's butcher shop at extreme right. He took over the shop c 1899 and traded there at number 3 until around 1930. At No 4 Elizabeth Kent sold fish and chips in 1899 with John Butters, bootmaker, also working from the same address. By 1910 Thomas Walker owned the fish shop. At No 5 Ann Nelson is listed as a shopkeeper in 1899 with Richard Saunders operating as a boot repairer from the same address, in 1910 Richard Taylor owned the shop. No 6, just visible at left of frame was also a fish and chip shop from around 1914 until the time of this photograph c 1930.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Nos 17-20 North John St (or sometimes just John Street) from the western end, the shop was opposite the Kitty.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Hawkey's Yard in Back North Railway Street in 1918. Woman third from left is Paddy Duggans wife. In the right hand group, second from left Mrs Adams then Mrs Stoker. Hawkey's Yard comprised of about 6 houses inhabited by a dozen families, built by Thomas Hawkey in the 1830s it was the subject of a closing order in 1929 and demolished in the early 1930s. You can see the exact location of this yard at Streets/Central Area Index No 22.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11