Streets central area.....Select a picture to enlarge

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
North Railway Street from the junction with the old Henry Street in the early 1900's. The Bridge Hotel at left, formerly the Bridge Vaults later became Nixon's Drugstore.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Rutherford Buildings 1935. 1st shop on left Shepherds butchers shop from 1900-1910 then Drinkwater's. Shop beside van Tommy Stamper (barber) next to him Mark's ice cream later Joe Pioli ice cream. In 1868 the offices of the county court were here and Lady Londonderry had offices here with a private suite so that she could stay overnight. Old lighthouse just visible at right.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Detail from previous photograph.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Hawkey's Yard in Back North Railway Street in 1925. Hawkey's Yard comprised of about 6 houses inhabited by a dozen families, built by Thomas Hawkey in the 1830s it was the subject of a closing order in 1929 and demolished in the early 1930s. You can see the exact location of this yard at Streets/Central Area Index No 22.

Thumbnail Image Table
Caption
Nos 11-14 North John Street. The Kitty, (arrowed) was Seaham's first police station, built in the early 1840s it consisted of an office, two cells and living accommodation above. It was converted into a soup kitchen in the early 1860's Demolished 1915, date of photograph not known.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11