North Terrace...Select a picture to enlarge

Thumbnail Image Table

NT 011

 
Caption
Dock head, railway from Rainton, North Tce, Londonderry Offices and Bath Tce in the distance. Note that the Woods and Co Bank, later Barclays is not yet built on end of Bath Tce ( it was built in 1861 and opened for business in 1862 ) This engraving not earlier than 1858 ( cannon on Tce Green ) and not later than 1860 ( no bank at end of Bath Tce ).

Thumbnail Image Table

NT 012

 
Caption
The Lord Seaham in North Tce in the late 1960's at left. Prossers Opening at very left. Starting with Thomas Prosser in 1834 this pub had 15 owners by 1938. There was a brewery and stabling behind in Back North Tce. The Lord Seaham had large stables to the rear and the Pilot Coach ran from here to Sunderland and South Sheilds as early as 1834 From 1846 a magistrates court was held in the Lord Seaham, the magistrate was the Rev Angus Bethune. Roman Catholics, without a church in these early years held their services here. Permission for first Rc church to be built was granted in in 1869. Infirmary at extreme right

Thumbnail Image Table

NT 013

 
Caption
North Tce. Transition period between the Lord Seaham and the Harbour View in the 1970's, Prossers opening to left.

Thumbnail Image Table

NT 014

 
Caption
Lord Seaham Inn in 1968. Seaham' s first magistrates court was held here from 1846 and before 1869 catholics worshipped here in an upstairs room. Renamed the Harbour View during the 70's ` In 1834 a stagecoach left the Lord Seaham every day at 4pm bound for Ryhope, Sunderland and the Royal Pilot at South Shields. There was stabling to the rear of the pub.

Thumbnail Image Table

NT 015

 
Caption
The Harbour View Hotel in North Terrace , formerly the Lord Seaham, newly opened in the 1970's

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11