Colliery Streets.

Thumbnail Image Table

A1

 
Caption
Mill bank, William St at right Butcher St beyond and park in distance. Note wagon on pit heap, top right. Road part cobbled at each side presumably to provide grip for horses on the steep bank. Photograph late 1950's

Thumbnail Image Table

A2

 
Caption
Looking south up the Mill Bank, Butcher St to the left, pit heap behind. The remains of William St at right. Photograph 1950s.

Thumbnail Image Table

A3

 
Caption
Rear of Butcher St c 1950, looking east. Demolished early 1960s.

Thumbnail Image Table

A4

 
Caption
Looking north from the pit heap. Butcher Street in the foreground, Seaham Park behind with WW1 war memorial at centre then bowling green, tennis courts and cricket field to right. Aged miners homes top left. Photograph c 1955.

Thumbnail Image Table

A5

 
Caption
Rear of Butcher Street, probably in the 1950's.

Thumbnail Image Table

A7

 
Caption
Butcher St (Row), miner's housing at the NW corner of Seaham Colliery. Vicarage and park behind, Christ Church top right. Apparently this St was originally named Blucher Street (Row) and housed German sinkers.

Thumbnail Image Table

A8

 
Caption
Seaton Colliery Inn, formerly the Colliery Inn, built before 1856, it was bombed during WW2 and rebuilt in the 1950's as the Phoenix. Situated at the top of the Mill Inn bank. Photogaph 1897 J.W.Botcherby (in doorway wearing waistcoat) died Oct 29 1903

Thumbnail Image Table

A9

 
Caption
New Seaham Co op on Mill bank 1930's

Thumbnail Image Table

A10

 
Caption
Looking south towards the top of Deneside. California Street to right Mount Pleasant in distance. The new houses of Eastlea, Evesham Road, already built at left. Photograph c 1950.

Thumbnail Image Table

A11

 
Caption
Youth band marching down Station Road, occasion and date not known but around 1930.

Thumbnail Image Table

A12

 
Caption
California Street, Evesham Road at right in distance. c 1950

Thumbnail Image Table

A13

 
Caption
Looking from top of Deneside to Mount Pleasant. c 1950. Gas lighting first used in Seaham Colliery streets Sept 5 1895.

Thumbnail Image Table

A14

 
Caption
Front and southern gable end of Infant St (at the northern end of California Street) c 1950. Another view of this building can be seen at A 47.

Thumbnail Image Table

A15

 
Caption
Post Office St 1950/54.

Thumbnail Image Table

A16

 
Caption
Hall Street, Seaham Colliery c 1920. Prefabs later built on this site.

Thumbnail Image Table

A17

 
Caption
Post Office Street.

Thumbnail Image Table

A18

 
Caption
California Street in 1959. The shop was run by Sid Walker and his mother. Situated between and slightly west of the post office and the NE corner of Westlea at the top of the Mill Inn bank. The Walker family had previously run Snowdon's off licence at the bottom of Cornish Street, as Cornish St was demolished before California St they converted two houses at the bottom of California St. into a shop. Information from Bill Peardon

Thumbnail Image Table

A19

 
Caption
Pre-fabs on Station Rd erected after WW2 as temporary housing they lasted until c 1970. There were also pre-fabs at Deneside.

Thumbnail Image Table

A20

 
Caption
Westlea being built behind California Street in the mid 50's.

Thumbnail Image Table

A21

 
Caption
Old and new in the mid 1950s, Doctor St, taken from the northern end near the Phoenix looking south towards the top of Deneside. The new houses in the distance are Windsor Rd.

Pages:     1 2 3