Church street.......Select a picture to enlarge

Thumbnail Image Table

CST 063

 
Caption
Church Street in 2004

Thumbnail Image Table

CST 046

 
Caption
Staff of Woolworths early 1940’s. Back Row, L to R Greta Wright, Ruth Buckley, Joan Robinson, Margaret Allen, Freda Wilkinson,Isa Harris, Audrey Pearson, Lily Heydon, Lily Marwood, muriel Tiffany, Lottie Johnstone. Middle Row Eaeanor Hall, Mrs Henry, Miss Macklam (manageress), Freda Shilling,Evelyn Horn. Front Row Lily Whitwell, Ann Barstow, Dolly Baker, Sheila Traynor, Ivy Johnson, Olive Baron, Edith Rochester.

Thumbnail Image Table

CST 001

 
Caption
Church St looking west, original United Methodist Free Church at right, built in 1866, rebuilt in 1877 destroyed by fire in 1904. Originally the upstairs rooms of 2 houses were converted into a church known as the Tabernacle, these houses were demolished in 1866. Wright the butcher opened this shop (next to Vane Arms) at 73 Church St before 1890. The shop at left, the Danish Dairy Co, was trading here with W Allen as manager in 1899. Photograph taken 1899

Thumbnail Image Table

CST 002

 
Caption
Church St between 1912 and 1914. Pork butcher Espert at 10 Church St (very left of picture) expressed strong anti British views and left Seaham for Bradford in the face of mounting hostility after sailor broke his shop window because of anti German feeling. Robt Graham born 1825 opened this pawnrokers shop at 11 Church St in 1861, by 1865 he had moved to No 16 then whoever was trading in his name (he had 4 daughters) moved back to No 11 in 1912 and was still there in 1938. Henry Minski opened this House Furnishing shop at 60 Church St between 1902 and 1910 and was still there in 1938. United Methodist Free Church at right.

Thumbnail Image Table

CST 003

 
Caption
Church Street at the time of WW1. Lougi Questa moved to York in 1920, Minnie Askew sold women's and baby's clothes. Roberts sold oilskins and seamen's clothing.

Pages:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14