Compiled by David Angus July 2008
Most of the dates pre 1938 given below are drawn from the Trade Directories shown here, as you can see not every year is represented so that, for example, if a date is
given as 1855 the true date could be anywhere between 1852 and 1855.
Additional information taken from locally compiled census reports
Of the first 133 buildings completed in Seaham Harbour by 1831, 12 were
have photographs of any Seaham pub or club, however recent, that you
would allow us to use, please get in touch.
ADAM & EVES, 1851, The Dene.
Before becoming a public house this building was called Garden House. I have seen this
public house referred to as THE PEAR TREE.
Another reference states that Adam and Eve's Gardens opened to the
public in 1829 by Colin Fair and taken over by his son Ralph in 1838.
Ralph had previously been landlord of the SHIP INN.
The licence was transferred from here to the RED STAR, Station Rd in the early 1930s.
BAY HORSE 1851, Blue House Farm Seaton,
Also known as The COCKFIGHTER and The BLUE HOUSE, last entry 1865, quite possibly very much older than 1851. The licence
was transferred from here to the Seaton Lane Inn. The farm was later known as Manor House Farm and was demolished during building of the A19 c1971.
BLANDFORD HOTEL, 1893, (1850s) 13 Blandford Place.
Would seem to have been run
as a beer house since the 1850s by a ship-owner, James Noble, when it was listed
as 34 South Railway St. as it is at the junction of the two streets. Just to confuse matters.
Closed late 1990s.
BOTTLEMAKER’S ARMS, 1873, (1856)10 Pilot Terrace.
Operating as an unnamed beer house
in 1856, licensee Robert Simpson . Often
referred to as the RED LIGHT. Pilot Tce was built before 1841. Probably
BRADDYLL ARMS, 1847, 68 Adolphus Street.
Also addressed as Adolphus Place and South Terrace over the years. Brewer. The licence was transferred from here to THE MALLARD
in November 1964.
BRIDGE HOTEL, 1894, (1861), 33 North Railway St.
First appears as a beer retailer in 1861,
a beer retailer and confectioner
in 1889, also known as BRIDGE VAULTS. In old directories North Railway St. is occasionally referred to as Bridge Street. It is quite possible that the LYNN ARMS was operating here in 1834 and continued as an unnamed beer-house until it became the Bridge Hotel.
DISCHARGED SOLDIERS AND SAILORS
SOCIAL CLUB AND INSTITUTE
was operating from 33 North Railway St from c 1915 and by 1925 it was
William Nixon’s drugstore.
CANTERBURY ARMS, 1893/4, 16 North Railway St
Closed early 1960s when swallowed up by the
expanding Snowdon and Bailes factory
CASTLEREAGH HOTEL, 1878, Vane Tce.
Became the CARLTON in 1982, closed 1990s.
Elsie Orton and her husband Joe left here in 1949 to
run the Seaton Lane Inn.
CROW’S NEST, 2006? East Shore Village.
DAWDON HOTEL, 1914, King Edward Road, Dawdon.
Demolished after fire 1990.
DEMPSEY’S BAR, 1997, 14 North Terrace.
A beer house in 1861, possibly earlier, run by Joshua
Redshaw, by 1873 a drapery
then variously a marine engineer, auctioneer and grocer until c 1934 when it
became Frank Valente's ice cream and confectionery business until opened as
a restaurant then bar by the Goodings family.
DRAY CART INN, 1894, 10 Frances St.
First listed as a beer retailer in 1871/2 then a Co-operative Store in 1879.
DUKE OF WELLINGTON, 1844, 8 South Railway St.
Variously known over the next few years as LORD WELLINGTON or WELLINGTON INN. Recent name change to DUKE OF SEAHAM.
Known locally as THE DUKE.
DUN COW 1856, Seaton Village.
EDINBURGH CASTLE, 1894, (1865), 12 South Tce.
In 1865 a beer retailer, George Stranghair (Straugher?), previously a Co-operative
Store?. Closed c 1970.
ENGINEER’S ARMS, 1864, 6 South Tce.
FORESTER’S ARMS, 1844, 10 North Railway St.
Closed and demolished in 1959 during Snowdon and
GEORGE, 1936, The Avenue, Deneside.
GOLDEN LION 1829/30 1 South Railway St.
The first habitable
new building in Seaham Harbour. In 1861/2/4 listed as the GOLDEN ANCHOR. Brewer.
The town's first school opened in a room here in 1830.
HAT AND FEATHER, before 1902,
I have seen a note somewhere that this
pub was at Seaton in which case it was possibly another name for the BAY HORSE, an early name for THE
SEATON LANE INN or possibly a village farmhouse, the most likely
contender would be West Farm which was adjacent to the "main road" which
ran past the Times Inn, through the west end of Seaton Village, Burdon,
Tunstall and on to Sunderland.. I have seen no other reference to this name, other than
the 1902 "poem" which though reputed to mention all Seaham pubs only
managed 29 of 49. If anyone has any other information I would be
delighted to hear it.
HAVELOCK ARMS, 1865, 27 South Railway St.
First appears as a beer house, licensee Robert Simpson in 1864, no mention after 1865.
HIGHLAND ARMS, 1851, Back North Tce, Highlander by 1855, Matthew Adamson licensee, listed as licensee of the Oddfellow’s Arms
Back North Tce in 1847.
KING’S ARMS, 1830, 9 North Tce,
Listed as the KING’S CROWN INN in 1861 and
1862. Traded until around 1970. Probably open by
1831. A stagecoach ran from here to Sunderland from the 1830s.
1830, 4 South Crescent.
The foundation stone of this building was laid on the same day as that of the dock in 1828. Brewer. Re-named Sylvia’s c
1980s. Probably open by 1830. Name often shortened to THE DERRY. From the
early 1830s, stagecoaches left here for Sunderland, their arrival and
departure announced by a bugler. Closed c 2006. Now a Thai restaurant.
LONDONDERRY HOTEL, 1894 (1864),
1 Fenwick Tce/Row, opposite (west) of the Bottleworks.
A beer house since 1864,
possibly earlier. Fenwick Row was built before 1856. Locally known as THE PARROT.
LORD SEAHAM 1834 18 North Tce,
Brewer. Became the HARBOUR VIEW in the 1970s. Probably open by 1831.
The first Roman Catholic services were held in an upstairs room here.
LYNN ARMS 1834 licensee George Bamborough.
Though no street numbers are given, the position of G Bamborough in the 1841 census would place him at the western end
of North Railway St. There is every possibility that the Lynn Arms eventually became the Bridge Hotel/Vaults.
LORD BYRON, 1894, Back North Railway St.
Locally known as THE CUDDY,
earlier the KICKING CUDDY.
MALLARD, 1964, Stockton Rd.
Licence transferred from the Braddyll which
closed November 1964.
Charles Street, Emily Street, formerly
SEAHAM HARBOUR CONSERVATIVE CLUB since 1902.
MARLBOROUGH HOUSE, 1894, (1873), 7 North Terrace.
A beer house in 1873, closed 1932. Previously various trades including perfumer,
insurance agent and printer and stationer. Licence surrendered when licence
transferred from Adam and Eve's to Red Star, Station Rd.
MASON’S ARMS, 1834, South Railway St.
First licensee Parkin Thornton, also mason and bricklayer. Probably open by 1831,
by 1861 re-named the Northumberland Arms, later, c late 1980s became The
Appears in the first Seaham Trade Directory of 1834, possibly much older. In
1834 known as the WINDMILL, the MILL INN by 1856, demolished and rebuilt on same foundations in 1892 possibly incorporating
parts of the original building.
NEW SEAHAM INN, 1873, Station Road.
Was locally known in the 1880s as WALLACE’S in the 1930’s as GIBSON’S and later LACEY’S. Re-named The Kestrel in the 1970s?
NOAH’S ARK, 1834, 1 North Railway St.
Brewer. Probably open by 1831. Generally known as THE ARK.
Closed c 2000.
NORTHUMBERLAND ARMS, 1844, Back North Terrace,
Owned by Robert Scott, no mention after this date. In 1858 Robert Scott is listed as a beer retailer in John
NORTHUMBERLAND ARMS, 1861/2, 27 South Railway St.
From 1831 until
1861 called the MASON'S ARMS. Also owned by Robert Scott, in the 1980s became THE
INN BETWEEN. Often referred to as the SCOTCH HOUSE when the
ODDFELLOWS, 1847, Back North Tce,
Matthew Adamson licensee. (listed as licensee of the Highland Arms Back North Terrace in 1851).
The Oddfellows (BNTce) is not mentioned after 1848, it may have ceased
to exist or changed name to become THE HIGHLAND ARMS.
ODDFELLOWS ARMS, 1894, (1861) 52 Church St.
A beer house in 1861 licensee Mrs Jane
Appleton. Name often shortened to THE ODDIES.
PEMBERTON ARMS, 1830s? Cold Hesledon.
Originally called the BRADDYLL
ARMS, then became the COLD HESLEDON INN
before adopting its present title. Locally known as
the WHITE HOUSE.
RED STAR, 1934, Station Road.
Name often shortened to THE STAR. Re-named ISLAND SOCIAL CLUB in the 1980s?
ROSE & CROWN, 1855, 13 Church St.
ROYAL NAVAL RESERVE ARMS, 1894, 6 Back North Tce.
This address was at the southern end of Back North Terrace.
ROYAL OAK 1864, (1858) Pilot Tce.
Operating as unnamed beer house in 1858, licensee Wm Henzel a Seaham ship-builder.
Demolished between 1933 and 1936.
Briefly a public house in the 1980s,
a nursing home by 1988. Now a hotel since 2002.
SEATON COLLIERY INN, 1856 (Colliery Inn) Mill Bank.
Bombed during WW2
on 25th of November 1941, two people killed, rebuilt as the PHOENIX in the late 1950s.
SEATON LANE INN, 1873, Seaton Lane,
Previously a blacksmith shop and house since c1600, known as Bleak House. Locally known as the ROADSIDE.
There is just a possibility that this pub was the elusive HAT AND
FEATHER in it's early days.
In an early 1980s
CAMRA Good Beer Guide this pub was described as "an oasis in a northern
SHAKESPEARE INN, 1894 (1864), 5 North Terrace.
A beer house from 1864, closed 1910. Previously a Hosier and a Marine Store Dealer,
probably at the same time.
SHEPHERD’S ARMS, 1861, Back North Terrace.
Last mention 1864.
As no street number was given, there is no way of knowing what became of
SHIP, 1851, 5 North Railway St.
SHIP INN by 1856,
last mentioned in 1910.
SHIPWRIGHT’S ARMS, 1855, Back North Terrace.
Last mention 1865.
STATION HOTEL, 1858, 39 Marlborough St.
RAILWAY. Situated at the very top of Marlborough St, next to the Railway
Station. Demolished 1971.
TIMES INN, 1841, Stockton Road, Dalton le Dale.
VANE ARMS, 1847, 74 Church St. Brewer.
Closed c1970 to become a bingo hall, now
VOLUNTEER ARMS, 1873, 43 Frances St.
Operating as unnamed beer house owned by George Gunn Walker in 1865. Often referred to as THE VOL.
Now all that remains of Frances Street.
WHEATSHEAF, 1834, North Railway St.
Does not appear after 1848.
MILL INN by 1856,
rebuilt on same foundations in 1892.
ZETLAND HOTEL, 1894, (1864), 3 North Railway St.
A beer house, licensee John Atkinson in 1864.
THE TALE OF SEAHAM LICENSING SIGNS, 1902
fellows of the Royal Naval Reserve entered the Ship built of Royal Oak
and sailed up to the Adam and Eve Gardens where they met with some
Foresters who informed them that the Duke of Wellington leaving the
Edinburgh Castle, had got into a Dray Cart. He was escorted by some
noble Volunteers, all loyal to the Rose and Crown and headed by a
Highlander playing on his pipes. They passed through Northumberland and
on arriving at the Bridge they were met by Marlborough, Zetland and
Braddyll who had just returned from Canterbury.
assembled company here sat down to discuss various subjects, the merits
of Shakespeare, the latest achievements of the Engineers and the
industry of the Bottlemakers but were repeatedly interrupted by the
chattering of the Parrot.
party of Oddfellows suddenly entered the room and informed them that a
Golden Lion had escaped from Noah's Ark and was speeding by the Colliery
to the Times Inn hotly pursued by Lord Seaham wearing a Hat and Feather
and mounted on a Kicking Cuddy.
SEAHAM CLUBS SINCE 1830
BRITISH LEGION CLUB, 1925 (1914-21) Tempest Place.
Originally COMRADES OF THE GREAT WAR SOCIAL CLUB, same building same site,
sometime between 1914 and 1921. Later British Legion Club, North Railway St.
CONSERVATIVE CLUB (New Seaham), 26th October1895, 208 Station Rd.
CONSERVATIVE WORKING MEN’S CLUB, March 16th 1894,
Charles St./Emily Street,
Became THE MARLBOROUGH (Club) in the 1990s.
DAWDON CRICKET CLUB, Bar in the clubhouse from 1965, Green Drive.
Club formed c 1907.
INSTITUTE, 1910, Mount Stewart St. Dawdon.
(Dawdon Welfare) opened 3/12/1910
DAWDON WORKMEN’S CLUB, 1914, Princess Road.
Burned out in 1977. Closed c2005?
DEMOCRATIC CLUB AND INSTITUTE, 1938, (1925), 8 Vane Terrace.
Formerly the IRISH CLUB AND LITERARY INSTITUTE, 1925, Generally known as THE DEMI.
DENESIDE WORKMEN’S CLUB, 1930s, The Avenue, Deneside.
DISCHARGED SOLDIERS AND SAILORS SOCIAL CLUB AND INSTITUTE, 1921, 33 North Railway Street.
sometime between 1914 and 1921 this club has the same address as THE
BRIDGE HOTEL/VAULTS so would appear to have taken over at that time.
Short-lived, William Nixon's drugstore was trading from here by 1925.
LABOUR CLUB, Malvern Crescent Deneside.
MASONIC CLUB, 1889/90, 3 North Road.
NEW SEAHAM WORKING MEN’S CLUB AND INSTITUTE, 1910, Eastlea Road, High Colliery.
Generally known as the NACK CLUB. Now re-named the KNACK SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB.
RAFA CLUB post WW2, Station Rd,
SHOOTING STAR then OASIS.
RED STAR SOCIAL CLUB,
1980s, Stockton Road.
ROYAL ANCIENT ORDER OF BUFFALOES CLUB AND INSTITUTE, 5 North Railway St 1925
RAOB CLUB, known as THE BUFFS. Now operating as SAM’S.
ROYAL NAVAL ASSOCIATION CLUB, date? North Terrace.
Now SEAHAM EX-NAVAL CLUB. Known as the NAVY CLUB.
CLUB, 1990s, York House, York Road.
See SEAHAM HARBOUR AND DISTRICT SOCIAL CLUB.
SAINT CUTHBERT’S SOCIAL CLUB, 1980s, Mill Road New Seaham.
Generally known as PAT AND MICK’S.
SEAHAM HARBOUR & DISTRICT SOCIAL CLUB, 1921, 29 North Terrace.
(site possibly now occupied by SNOOKER CLUB), later moved to York Road
and became SEAHAM HARBOUR WORKING MEN'S CLUB and was generally known
as YORK HOUSE, then became the RUGBY CLUB.
SEAHAM HARBOUR CONSERVATIVE CLUB,
Charles Street/Emily St East,
later, in the 1990s
SEAHAM HARBOUR CRICKET CLUB, Bar in the clubhouse from 1967, New Drive.
Cricket club formed
SEAHAM HARBOUR GOLF CLUB, c1910, Shrewsbury St.
SEAHAM HARBOUR WORKING MEN’S CLUB, York House, York Road.
Known as YORK HOUSE.
SEAHAM OLD SCOUTS SOCIAL CLUB, Dow House, 1978, South Crescent.
Formerly The Seamen’s Mission
SEAHAM PARK CRICKET CLUB, Bar in the clubhouse from 1965, Seaham Town Park.
SEAHAM UDC EMPLOYEES SPORTS AND SOCIAL CLUB 1960? Ash Crescent, Parkside.
Generally known as PARKSIDE CLUB.
(Lengs), 1980s? North Terrace.
Possibly built on the site of the former SEAHAM HARBOUR & DISTRICT SOCIAL CLUB.
PLAYBOY (Nightclub), 1960s, Church St,
Later renamed PANTHERS now an amusement arcade.
VANE TEMPEST CLUB,
1950?, New Drive.
WESTLEA SOCIAL CLUB, 1950s, 5 West Grove, Westlea Shopping Precinct.
Now trading as MITCHEL’S.
BEER-HOUSES AND BEER RETAILERS 1830-1900
Many of Seaham’s pubs started life as a beer-house or beer retailer, apparently without a recognised name (or not one that has survived), in many cases it has been possible
to tie together the beer house and pub through the address using trade and census records though this is not always possible as early Seaham records gave only the street name at best.
Here I have tried to remove all doubtful businesses and hopefully there are no duplications (businesses often changed hands many times over the years).
This list can only be a rough guide, there were many more beer houses than are listed here, much more work needs to be done.
I give only the first entry for any particular address.
Dalton le Dale, the licence was transferred from here to the TIMES INN in 1864.
1847 David Ferni
1851 Thomas Akenhead
Back North Tce
1855 John Burn Bainbridge
9 Church St. This was a butcher shop by 1873 currently MeatMart.
1858 Henry Herbert
Railway St. In 1855 this man was licensee of the Shipwright’s Arms in Back North Terrace.
1861 Matthew Adamson
18 North Railway St.
no mention after 1890
1861 John Bell
18 North John St.
no mention after this date.
1861 William Cook
1861 John Cuthbertson
1861 Robert Feery (Ferry)
16 South Railway St.
by 1889 an undertaker, 1902 unnamed shop, no
mention after 1910.
1861 Robert Jobson
10 Blandford Place,
from 1893 a grocery shop, 1910 a confectioner, by
1925 a chemist and in the mid 30s painter and decorator J R Oliver,
still run by the same family as a DIY shop
1861 Richard Merritt
8 Pilot Tce.,
no mention after 1862
1861 Margaret Nicholson (Mrs)
Back North Terrace.
1861 Joshua Redshaw
14 North Tce. By 1873 a drapery shop.
1861 Robert Tindall (Tindale)
30 Church St. only listed in 1861 and 62.
1861 Robert Davison
1864 John King
15 South Railway St.
by 1890 a general dealer 1914 a plumber then no
1861 John Nattrass
9 North Railway St.,
a watchmaker (Henry Metcalfe) by 1889 until 1914
then no mention.
1861 Stephen Richards
1861 Wm Richardson
Back North Tce.
1861 Florence Shewan
21 Church St.,
John Mileham's fish and chip shop by 1899 until
1861 Anthony Stark
7 Blandford Place.
various other businesses from 1889.
1865 James Jones
1865 Joshua Redshaw
1865 Parkin Thornton
1865 George Gunn Walker
43 Frances Street. Innkeeper, this was not the Dray Cart which was at number 10.
1865 Mary Wood
1871 Miss J Lawrence
9 Adelaide Row,
grocer and beer retailer, then in 1910 beer
retailer only until by 1921 a fish and chip shop until after 1938
1871 William Hendry
32 Frances Street.
a Co-op shop by 1873.
1871 D. Nicholson
22 Henry Street.
1871 G Oliver
34 Henry Street,
by 1914 a bazaar.
1871 J Dobson
25 North John Street, ale merchant.
1871 R Lynn
10 South Railway St. Innkeeper.
Young's the printers by the 1890s.
1871 David Dixon
28 South Railway St.
1871 Andrew Wilkie
33 South Railway St.
by 1890 a
dressmaker then confectioner etc until Septimus Hall opened his fried
fish shop in 1938, still trading as a fish and chip shop today.
1861 James Noble
34 South Railway Street,
became the BLANDFORD in 1893.
1873 Mary Ann Lewis (Mrs)
1879 Henry Smith
1889 John Bell
18 North Railway St. possibly incorporated into the Canterbury Arms (16 N R St) 1893/4
licensee Margaret Bell
1889 Henry Deacon
28 Frances St,
a confectioner by 1925.
1889 Isabella Hawkey (Mrs)
Back Henry St.
1900 Isaac Simpson Howson
6 Back North Terrace,
an unnamed shop by 1910.
1900 Wm Wood
32 Back North Terrace. no
mention after this date.
Lists compiled by David Angus, July 2008.