SEAHAM TIMELINE

Compiled by David Angus  2008

"P" designates an illustration of the subject/s, not necessarily the actual event.

This list was last updated 20 October 2013 13:45:27

 

1821 Londonderry's came to Seaham.  
1825 Excavation of North Dock begins  
1825 Wood Houses/Cottages were erected on what was to become the Terrace Green to house the first builders of the North dock probably in 1825, 3 years before the foundation stone was laid. P
1825 Sunniside Bank Engine built, demolished 1929. P
1828 Foundation stones of Harbour and first house laid, 13/9/1828 P
1828 North Terrace built between 1828 and 1831. P
1828 Foundation stones of the docks and the Londonderry Arms laid on 28/11/1828                                           P
1829 Golden Lion, first house completed in Seaham Harbour.                                                                               P
1829 New road, Lord Byron's Walk opened. P
1829 Adam and Eves Gardens reputedly opened to the public in May 1829. (not sure about this one)  Originally known as Dene Cottage.                 P
1829 10th January, the first ship, "Brothers" sailed into Seaham Harbour with a cargo of bricks  
1829 First public road out of Seaham completed 9/11/1829, following the line of Dene House Rd and Station Rd to the Mill Inn.  A timber bridge crossed the Dene from Tempest Road  
 

1830s

 
1830 First school opened in a room in the Golden Lion. P
1830 On 16th July the timber bridge across the Dene from Tempest Road was washed away by a flood. Dene House, later Adam & Eve's Gardens was partially demolished by same  
1831 First coals shipped out on the “Lord Seaham” 25/7/1831  
1831 Incline to docks opened 1831 closed 1988.                                                                                                 P
1831 Timber bridge erected across Dene 80 yards west of current North Road and Toll Cottage built on north bank. Bridge demolished and Toll Cottage became a dwelling house in 1855.  
1831 Steam driven beam engine erected near the North Dock entrance to power cranes and operate storm booms protecting the gate. Worked until 1947. P
1833 First Wesleyan Chapel in Seaham, built in Tempest Rd, (now Salvation Army Citadel) P
1833 On July 11th a new stagecoach service called the Royal Pilot began from South Shields to Seaham, calling at Monkwearmouth for a change of horses. Coach leaves S Shields at 9am and leaves the "Lord Seaham Inn" at 4pm for the return journey. Fare, 3 shillings inside, 2 shillings outside  
1833 Opening of South Hetton Railway Line.  
1834 Public Baths built, also footbridge built across the eastern end of the Dene from Bath Tce to the new Baths. The baths were established by Thomas Prosser who sold them to a Mrs Patric who sold them to the Londonderrys in 1840.  Footbridge demolished 1861, Baths 1934. P
1834 John Hall, Seaham Postmaster, letters from all parts (arrive from Houghton le Spring by foot post), every morning at seven and are despatched every afternoon at half past four.  
1834    
1835 South Dock opened 30/7/1835. First ship to dock was the Brig "Nixon".  
1835 First recorded RC Mass held in a private house in John Street. P
1835 Seaton Station opened, closed 1952. P
1836 Seaham's first lighthouse, a wooden structure, burnt down.  
1836 Passenger steamer service, The steamer Ben Lomond runs from Newcastle to Stockton daily, calling at Shields, Sunderland, Seaham, Hartlepool and Middlesborough. Fare from Newcastle to Seaham, Best Cabin 2 shillings, Fore Cabin 1 shilling.  
1836 New stone lighthouse built on Lighthouse Cliff, in use until 1905, demolished 1940. P
1838 Ralph Fair, first landlord of the Ship Inn took over Adam and Eve's Gardens when his father Colin left to live in Hawthorn. Ralph died in 1879.  P
1839 Henzell's Shipyard in South Dock built the 268 ton "William" P
1839 United Methodists opened their Tabernacle in upstairs rooms in Church Street. Built chapel in 1846. Burned down 1904.  
 

1840s

 
1840 Pilot Houses/Terrace built before 1841. P
1840 North Dock completed. P
1840s At some time during the 1840s, probably early, Wood Houses were moved to a new site at the eastern end of Ropery Walk. These houses had originally been erected on what was to become the Terrace Green to house the first builders of the North Dock, possibly as early as 1825. P
1840 St John's Church opened having taken 5 years to build. Foundation stone laid 1835. P
1841 Henry Hall Smith built first Gasworks and worker's cottages in the Dene near Adam and Eve's Gardens. There were 2 gasometers each containing 30,000 cubic feet of gas. P
1841 Frances St building began, only 1 house in 1841, 12 by 1851 and finished in the 1850s P
1841  Church St building began (north side), 11 houses in 1841, 45 in 1851, finished by 1865. P
1841 Adolphus St building began before 1841 still only 5 houses by 1861, 30 by 1871 and finished in the 80s. P
1843 Robert Wright's Iron Works opened in Ropery Walk, extended 1854 and sold in the 1870s, after various owners it began trading in 1899 as Seaham Foundry Co Ltd., taken over by Jennings c1950 it closed in the late 1960s. P
1843 Seaham Harbour Parish created.  
1843 Prior to 1843 all Seaham's burials and weddings took place in St Andrew's Dalton le Dale. P
1843

6th October, first coals from Murton Colliery shipped from Seaham on the brig Integrity.

 
1843    
1844 Lady Londonderry opened the Infirmary at the junction of North Tce and Tempest Rd. Greatly enlarged in 1857 to contain 25 beds. Used as Council Offices 1920-64, demolished 1969. P
1844 First gas lights in Seaham, January 30th 1844. Gas supplied by Henry Hall Smith's Gasworks in the Dene near Adam and Eve's Gardens. P
1844 National School, Church Street' established. Enlarged in 1856 to hold 400 pupils. The school was supported chiefly by the children's payments (2d per week). P
1845 Rev Angus Bethune became first vicar of St John's Church. P
1845 Sinking of the High Pit, (Seaton Colliery), began 12/8/1845, amalgamated with the Low pit in 1864.  P
1845 Enlarged North Dock opened on 31st January  
1845 On 17th October it was reported that Rasbery Hall Sacker was to be transported to Australia for 7 years for stealing wearing apparel from Henry Yarrow of Seaham  
1846 From 1846 a Magistrates Court was held in the Lord Seaham Inn.  P
1846 United Methodists built their chapel on north side of Church St., after renting rooms on the same site in 1839 enlarged in 1866 and in 1877 to seat 750 it burned down in 1904, rebuilt in 1905, closed 1969. Boots now occupies the site. P
1848 Bath Terrace building began. P
1849 Sinking of the Low Pit, (Seaham Colliery), began 13/4/1849, amalgamated with the High Pit in 1864. P
 

1850s

 
1850 Primitive Methodist Chapel built in Tempest Place (Road) rebuilt in 1871to seat 400, it collapsed in 2002. P
1851 William St., 35 houses by 1851 (Seaham Harbour) P
1851 Blandford Place built by 1851. P
1851 Adelaide Row built by 1851.  
1851 Sailor's strike lasted 3 months.  
1851 The ground floor of the living quarters of the old Smithy on Seaton Lane became a beer house, the Seaton Lane Inn or "Roadside" did not get a spirit licence until 1953.  The building dates from around 1600 and was at one time known as Bleak House. P
1851 Post Office St, Seaham Colliery, this may be the street mentioned in the 1851 census as under construction. In 1861 called Bownden Row, in 1871, Daker's Row, 1881 P.O. St P
1852 Explosion at Seaham Colliery caused 6 deaths only 6 weeks after first coals were drawn. The youngest victim was Charlie Halliday stated at the time as 10 years old but probably only 8 and certainly not more than 9years and 2 months. P
1852 First coals drawn at High Pit, Seaham Colliery.  
1852 First Seaham Flower Show held at Adam and Eves Gardens in 1852 . Held annually in various venues until from  1858 until 1928 it was held at Seaham Hall. P
1853 John Candlish opened Londonderry Bottleworks, absorbed Fenwick's Bottleworks in 1856. P
1853 On 15th July the foundation stone of the Literary Institute in Tempest Road was laid  
1853 Marquess of Londonderry cut the first sod of the Seaham to Sunderland Railway on 8th of February. P
1854 First coal traffic on Seaham to Sunderland Railway, August 1854  
1854 "Friend of all Nations" Seaham's first lifeboat bought by public subscription.  
1854  At Seaham Colliery, Infant St (Reading Room Row in '71), California St, Australia St, Butcher St and Model St all built between 1851 and 1856. P
1854 Seaham Colliery had 269 employees in 1854.  
1854 First Lifeboat House built on Terrace beach in 1854, it became a teashop after 1870. P
1854 Seaham Waterworks, east of Seaham Colliery opened.  
1855 Toll Cottage on the north bank of the Dene became a private house. P
1855 Bridge to Toll Cottage demolished as Tempest Rd had been extended to Seaham Colliery Station where tolls were collected from this time.  
1855 Seaham Harbour Engineworks opened. P
1855 Londonderry Literary Institute opened in January (Tempest Place) also known as Mechanic's Institute. P
1855 Public passenger traffic began on the 6 miles long Seaham to Sunderland Railway in July. Seaham Harbour Station opened.  
1855 Seaham Colliery Station completed. P
c1855 Fenwick Row built before 1856. P
1855 1855/56, Seaham surveyed for Ordnance Survey Map. Printed 1861. P
1856 The Independent Methodists built their chapel in Tempest Rd in 1856, it was sold in 1881to the Wesleyan's. The attached Sunday school was built in the 1880's. Demolished and replaced with modern chapel in 1976. P
c1856 Candlish Terrace was built after 1855 and before 1861. P
1856 Interior of  1836 lighthouse burnt out, repaired by 1837. P
1856 From 1856 Roman Catholics celebrated Mass in a small room behind the Lord Seaham and later at the home of a Mrs Ford at 9 William Street. P
1856 Piped water became available. Prior to this date water had to be collected in buckets from Seaham's only water source, a pump at the bottom of Railway Street (north?).  
1856 High Colliery School opened. P
1856 The Mill at Seaham Park (a steam driven mill at this time) burned down together with 2000 bushels of wheat 13/9/1856. P
1857 Low Colliery School opened. P
1857 Londonderry Offices opened in March. New north and south wings added in 1909. P
1857 SS Lord Londonderry , pioneer of the 12 strong Londonderry fleet built 1857. P
1857 Dene House built, Londonderry Agents T G Shaw, John Daglish, John B Eminson, Sam Ditchfield and Malcolm Dillon lived here. P
1857 New Seaham became a parish.  
1857 Lady Londonderry entertains 4000 workers in Seaham Hall grounds.  
1858 36 pounder Russian cannon captured at Sebastapol presented to the town by Queen Victoria. P
1858 Purvis's Photographic Portrait Rooms, opened in North Terrace.  
1858 The Seaham Observer a weekly newspaper first published in 1858.  
c1858 New Cottages, later to become Swinebank Cottages were built in the mid/late 1850s to house miners at one of the New Seaham Collieries. By 1871 the 83 houses were largely occupied by Engine/Wagonworks staff many of whom had arrived when the Londonderry Works were transferred from Chilton to Seaham. P
1859 Foundation stone of Lady Londonderry's Blast Furnaces laid in December, not completed until 1862. P
 

1860s

 
1860s Engine shops, stores, grease-works, granaries, stables, goods station and wagon-works erected south of Seaham Harbour Station as the Londonderry Wagonworks were transferred from Chilton Moor to Seaham. P
1860s Sewage had been dumped near Seaham Colliery Station then carted to the sea. By around 1865 it was taken in carts to rail sidings near Northumberland Arms then travelled by rail to "Tip Ends" to be tipped into the sea.  
1860 Seaham Volunteers inaugurated. North Battery living quarters built after 1861 before 1871. P
1860 Christ Church built by Marchioness Frances Anne, consecrated 21st November. P
1860 St John's Church enlarged by adding new north aisle. P
1860 Seaham Weekly News first published on 5th May 1860, last issue 29th July 1938 when it was incorporated into the Durham Chronicle.  
1860

A gift of a drinking fountain from Mr Robert Wright was placed at the bottom of North Railway Street

 
1861 20 houses built in Marlborough by 1861 and a start made on Emily Street. Both completed by the 1871 census. P
1861 Footbridge to the Baths demolished and new coast road built. P
1861 Cheapside became Green Street. P
1861 Police Station and Magistrates Court opened in Tempest Rd, (Londonderry Rd) P
1861 Ordnance Survey Map of Seaham. P
1862 Wood and Co built bank on western end of Bath Tce in 1861, it opened in 1862, was rebuilt in 1895 and became Barclays in 1902. P
1862 Green Drive Lime Kilns (1862-1918) supplied Furnaces and Chemical Works and no doubt the building of Dawdon Colliery and town. P
1862 In 1862  654,416 tons of coal were shipped from the  dock to UK and foreign ports.  
1862 Seaham Colliery High and Low Pits joined underground.  
1862 First Drill Hall built, Vane Hall on Castlereagh Bridge. Became a livery stable when Castlereagh Rd Drill Hall was built in 1888 P
1862 The first Co-operative Stores appeared in 1861/2 at 19 North Tce and 12 South Terrace. P
1863 Board of Health formed, forerunner of the Town Council.  
1863 Seaham Colliery School built, demolished 1979  
1865 Frances Anne died at Seaham Hall in January aged 65.  
1865 Seaton Village School opened taking over from the former school held in the loft of a barn higher up in the village. Closed 1938. P
1865 Cornish St built between 1861 and 1871. (Seaham Colliery). Originally New Row.  
1865 Swinebank Cottages School opened. (Closed 1910). P
1865 Murley's Bakers opened and traded in Seaham until the 1990s. P
1865 Mary Anne Cotton, the infamous mass murderess lived at 19 North Tce for 6 months of this year. Credited with 14 or 15 victims she may have killed as many as 21. P
1866 Hand operated fire engine housed at the Drill Hall.  
1866 Seaham's first Swimming Club formed in the Londonderry Institute, July 1866, disbanded November 1867 and re-formed in 1880.(by which time they must have forgotten how cold the water was.) P
1866 Seaham Gas Co built large new gasworks opposite Candlish Bottleworks, operational by 1866. P
1867 Londonderry Colliery Workshops opened next to the railway station, later became the Wagon Shops. Closed and demolished in 1987. P
1868 Seaham Colliery Brickworks opened. 12 kilns could each produce 18,000 bricks at a time. Closed 1965. P
1868 Seaham Harbour Cricket Club founded. P
1869 Catholics granted permission to build a church and schools next to police station. P
1869 Robert Graydon built Bengal House and Gardens at the bottom of the Dene Bank. Near Dalden Tower. P
 

1870s

 
1870 Watson Town, 13 houses, built by Watson Kipling Co between 1870 and 1872 to house their Blast Furnace staff, later housed sinkers at Dawdon Colliery, demolished after 1906. P
1970 The original RC Church of St Mary Magdalene opened in Londonderry Rd next to police station in 1870. The church was also used as a school until the school in Vane Tce was built. demolished 1975. Could seat 500. P
1870 Coffee Pot, Loco 16, built by Head Wrightson, purchased new. Seaham's first vertical boiler engine. P
1870 Stud Farm at Dalden Hall set up for the Londonderrys by Robert Brydon. P
1870 "Sisters Carter of Harrogate" first RNLI lifeboat arrived at Seaham 1/9/1870. P
1870 New Lifeboat Station. P
1870 Incline between Noah's Ark and the Golden Lion fenced after many accidents. P
1870 Metal Bridge built over the Incline between South Crescent and North Terrace P
1871 Seaham Colliery explosion killed 21 miners. P
1871 A professional cricketer Henry Grist lived with his wife in Emily St. Presumably he played for Seaham Harbour Cricket Club which had been formed in 1868.  
1871 By 1871 a start had been made on building Cornelia Terrace. P
1871 First Durham Miners Gala in Wharton Park, 13th August P
1873 Theatre Royal opened 11th November with "The Two Orphans"  Seated 2000. P
1873 Frances St Co-op opened with several departments.  
1873 Coffee Pot, Loco 17, purchased new. P
1874 Election riots in February began in Seaham Harbour and ended at Mill Inn when large force of police arrived. P
1874 Masonic Hall built on North Road. P
1875 Seaham Hall Station built for the private use of the Londonderry family. P
1875 Henry St, Seaham St, Hall St and Cooke St built at Seaham Colliery between 1871-81  
1876 Ropery Walk Voluntary School built and Bottleworks School closed. P
1876 First telephone at Young's printers, North Railway Street. P
1877 Salvation Army arrived in Seaham. P
1877 SHDC Loco 18 built by Stephen Lewin in 1877 spent most of its working life at Seaham Dock, retired in 1975. Now restored at Beamish Museum it is probably the oldest industrial locomotive still in existence. P
1877 Independent Methodism at New Seaham commenced on Sunday March 11th, 1877, the first services being held in the open air between Seaham and Henry Streets using a kitchen as a pulpit.  
1878 Londonderry ship SS Viscount Castlereagh built 1874. P
1879 Sunderland Central Railway Station opened August 3rd P
1879 Ralph Fair's widow Jane took over Adam and Eve's Gardens after her husbands death in 1879, Jane died in 1894 and the pub and gardens were then run by her son Thomas until 1908. P
 

1880s

 
1880 Robert Pott's Shipyard in South Dock destroyed by fire. P
1880 Disaster at Seaham Colliery, 164 men and boys and 180 pit ponies killed. P
1880 Seaham Harbour Swimming Club formed. (Men only). Disbanded in 1982. P
1881 Co-op building in Castlereagh Rd opened, it moved the grocery business to its current site in Green St in 1977 and the rest of the business to the former Woolworths Store in Church St in 1989, this closed in 1993. P
1882 First carriage road from Seaham to Dalton le Dale built. P
1882 Presbyterian Church in Adolphus St West opened in 1882, could seat 310, destroyed by German landmine 1941. P
1882 New Seaham Londonderry Benevolent Cycling Club formed at The New Seaham Inn (Kestrel)  
1882 Independent Methodist Sunday School held its first anniversary service in the garden of 37 Doctor St.  
1883 New dredger designed and built by George Hardy. P
1884 SS "Linthorpe", a 133 ton iron screw ketch built at Seaham.  The shipyard was behind the Lighthouse Rock, on the Basin Quay (above Slope) P
1885 Princess Road Cemetery opened with two chapels, one Church of England the other, non-conformist. P
1885 Huge Co-op department store opened in Vane Terrace next to Castlereagh Hotel. P
1885 Chemical Works closed.  
1885 Extensive alterations to St John's Church, extension of the chancel and the erection of a new chancel arch, organ chamber and vestries. There are 650 sittings.  
1886 Bottleworks introduced gas furnaces, 200ft chimney built. P
1886 Seaham Harbour Railway Station prefabricated at Londonderry Engineworks replaced the original built in 1855. Closed during WW2 it never re-opened. P
1886 Birkbeck Villa, on Station Rd, east of Christ Church, dwelling house and post office opened 18th October. Post office closed 1909. P
1886 Independent Methodist Church, Enfield Rd, New Seaham opened 14 December. P
1887 RNLI lifeboat "Skynner" arrived, Seaham's lifeboat until 1908, saved 87 lives. P
1887 Jubilee Methodist Church in what is now Eastlea Rd.  
1887 St Mary's RC School opened in Vane Terrace. P
1887 Burials banned in St John's Churchyard in favour of Princess Rd Cemetery. P
1887 Viceroy Street, Seaham Colliery, building began before 1891, after 1886. Probably between 1886 and 1889 when Lord Londonderry was Viceroy of Ireland.  
1888 Second Drill Hall built between Castlereagh Rd and Tempest Rd. opened 27/10/88. P
1888 Seaham Harbour Cycling Club formed at the Noah's Ark. P
1888 Paddle tug Lady Helen arrived in Seaham 18/9/1888, a replacement for the old tug Harry Vane. P
1889 Caroline Winter murdered on the beach near Featherbed Rock, August 2nd.  
1890 Prince and Princess of Wales, Edward and Alexandra, visit Seaham, arriving at Seaham Station.  
1891

September, Elementary Education Act, all scholars to be admitted to infant school free, previously 2d per week.

 
1892 Emily St Centre opened. (school providing cookery lessons) P
1892 Mill Inn rebuilt on the site of the original inn. P
1893 Candlish Memorial Hall built. Disused in the 1950s it became a clothing factory for a while. (Barrans)  Demolished in 1974 P
1893 Seaham Harbour Ashmore Cycling Club formed at the Braddyll Arms  
c1893 Gallery Row was built between 1892 and 1894. Demolished c 1960 P
1893 Prince and Princess of Wales (future Edward V11 and Queen Alexandra) visited Seaham Harbour on July 3rd. P
1894 Princess Rd Isolation Hospital opened to hold 8 patients, by 1910, 12.  Later became the Fire Station.  
1894 St Cuthbert's RC School opened in Cornish St, demolished in 1956.  
1894 In this year the police force consisted of, Town, 1 superintendant, 2 sergeants and 6 constables. Sub District of Seaham Harbour, 1 inspector, 6 sergeants and 17 constables. P
1895 Conservative Club, Station Rd opened 26/10/1895. P
1895 Gas lighting in Seaham Colliery Streets from September 5th 1895.  
1895 Loco 21 built at SHEW in 1895, sold to NER in 1900. P
1896 Last Rainton pits closed in November, western sections of Rainton & Seaham Railway dismantled  
1896 Theresa Cycling Club formed at Botcherby's Beer House 5 North Terrace in 1896. 5 North Terrace was the address of the Shakespeare Inn at this time.  
1896 Catholic School opened at High Colliery.  
1897 Jubilee Pleasure Grounds opened in Dalton le Dale on Whit Monday, June 7th 1897. Disused after 1928. P
1897 J J Candlish Cycling Club formed at the Robert Candlish Memorial Hall.  
1897 First passenger motor coach on Seaham Colliery Road owned by Mr T O Johnson of Cornish St., driver Robert Neville.  
1898 Viceroy Street School opened. National School infants moved here. Closed 1972. P
1898 New Seaham Co-op on Mill Bank opened. Closed 1970. Became the Regency Assembly Rooms in 1979. P
1898 The last Seaham Regatta held on 6th August 1898, the first was possibly in 1873. P
1898 Seaham Harbour Dock Company formed, and shares issued to raise funds for major extension of South Dock and piers. P
1899 South Dock extensions begun in August. P
1899 Sod cut for Dawdon Colliery on August 26th. P
1899 Caroline Winter aged 8 was murdered in a cave near the Featherbed Rock. P
1899 The Butterboat, "Niord" ran aground on New Year's Eve. P
 

1900s

 
1900 Londonderry Railway sold to NER.6th October  
1900 Tunnel connecting South Dock and Terrace Beach opened P
1900 Foggin's newsagents opened.  
1901 New Theatre Royal opened, the first Theatre Royal opened 11th November 1873. P
1901 Wooden Lion put on roof of Golden Lion PH 1901, replaced 1935 P
1901 Elgey's Timberyard opened, previously owned by Mann Bros from the mid 1850s and Robert Trotter from the 1870s. Timberyard finally closed 1985. P
1901 Population of Seaham 10,000  
1902 Seaham and District Photographic Society formed, meetings were held in Robert Forster's shop in Frances St. P
1902 Barclays took over the bank at the western end of Bath Tce built by Wood and Co in 1861/2. P
1902 Coronation Buildings, Station Rd, built. P
1903 Seaham White Star FC founded. P
1903 "Smallpox Hospital erected with 4 beds" no idea where this was situated, possibly attached to Isolation Hospital.  
1903 New South Dock east wall badly damaged by storm on 9/10/03  P
1903 New Seaham Recreation Grounds opened with swings etc  
1904 Church Street United Methodist Chapel burned down 20/3/04. Services temporarily held in the Theatre Royal and the Co-operative Hall. Rebuilt 1905. P
1904 Seaham White Star FC won the Wearside league in its inaugural season, 1903/04. P
1904 SS Maureen, biggest and best of the 12 strong Londonderry fleet built 1904, scrapped 1935. P
1904 SS Lilian came ashore on the Blast Beach in February P
1905 Church Street United Methodist Chapel rebuilt, opened 29th July. Last service 1969 when congregation moved to new Wesleyan Church in Tempest Rd. Closed Feb 1969. Site now occupied by Boots the Chemist. P
1905  New South Dock opened 11th November 1905 by Prime Minister A J Balfour. P
1905 New South Dock can handle ships of 5000 tons, 5 times bigger than the old dock. P
1905 New North Pier (1383 ft long) and South Pier (876ft) completed. P
1905 New automatic steel lighthouse built on new North Pier. P
1905 Loco Seaham worked at the dock from new in 1905 until scrapped in 1961. P
1905 Times Inn Farm, (Colpitt's Farm), Dalton le Dale demolished. P
1905 First train from Sunderland to Hartlepool via Seaham ran on Oct 1st  
1906 St Andrew's Terrace built in Dalton le Dale. Demolished in the mid 1960s. P
1906 Loco Silksworth at Seaham Dock from new in 1906 until scrapped in 1963. P
1907 Seaham Park Recreation Ground opened offering football, cricket, bowls and tennis. Bowling Greens opened 1905. P
c1907 Silent films shown in the 'Invicta' in the Co-operative Hall in Vane Terrace (upstairs) 1 penny bought you a seat and a stick of rock.  
1907 Petrol engined car built at Londonderry Engine Works for the 6th Marquess. Now at Beamish Museum. P
1907 First Scout Troop formed, named 1st Seaham (Londonderry Own)  
1907 St Mary Magdalene's Catholic Church opened near Dene House. P
1907 First films screened at the Theatre Royal during intervals in the stage shows. P
1907 Loco Milo built 1873 worked at Seaham Dock from 1907 until scrapped in 1963. P
1907 Coal drawn from Dawdon Colliery.  
1907 New organ costing £750 donated to St John's by the Marquess of Londonderry.  
1907 St Andrew's Church, Dalton le Dale restored. P
1908 The tenancy of Adam and Eve's Gardens held by the Fair family for 80 years passed to Frank Marriott who transferred the licence to the Red Star, Station Rd in 1932. P
1908 Seamen's Mission opened in South Crescent. Replaced Seamen's Bethel in dock. P
1908 Alfred St, building began in 1908. P
1908 Loco Mars built in 1875 worked at Seaham Dock from 1908 until 1963. P
1908 First motor lifeboat "Bradford Reserve" arrived, here for 3 years.  
1908 The third and last lifeboat house built in South Dock. P
1908 Seaham volunteers absorbed into Territorial Army and renamed the 3rd Northumberland Field Artillery.  Seaham Drill Hall remained as headquarters. P
1908 Amateur Operatic Society formed, first production, HMS Pinafore P
1908 Angus Bethune, vicar of St Mary's, Old Seaham, died aged 97. P
1909 Paddle tug "Seaham" came to Seaham docks brand new in 1909 (1908?) and worked here until 1962. P
1909 Paddle tug "Lady Helen" arrived, sold in 1923   (???)(1888 ???) P
1909 Two new wings added to Londonderry Offices. P
1909 Ropery Walk Voluntary School built in 1876 taken over by Durham County Council. P
1909 Dene Crescent, (2 houses) built on the north side of the Dene above Adam and Eve's Gardens. P
 

1910s

 
1910 Petrol engined articulated lorries built at Londonderry Engineworks. P
1910 Londonderry agent Sam Ditchfield retired.              
1910 Drill Hall on Station Road, (just west of Post Office) became Primitive Methodist Chapel. (Church Institute) P
1910 New Seaham Working Men's Club opened. (Eastlea Rd)  P
1910 Dawdon Miners' Institute, (Dawdon Welfare), in Mount Stewart St. opened 3/12/1910. P
1910 Stewart St Methodist Church built 1910, later a pop factory then Scout Headquarters, demolished 2002. P
1910 Dawdon Infants and Junior Schools built. Infants' School closed 1979, junior schools closed 1969.                    P
1910 Foundation stone of St Hild and St Helen's Church at Dawdon laid 19/9/1910. Opened 1911. P
1910 Shakespeare Hotel, North Terrace closed December 1910, Jim Prior landlord  
1911 Population of Seaham 15,000  
1911 RNLI lifeboat "Elliot Galer" arrived. P
1911 Coronation celebrations for King George V and Queen Mary. P
1911 Seaham Golf Club opened on 95 acres of land given by 6th Marquess of Londonderry. Officially opened May 15th P
1911 Dawdon Co-op opened in Princess Road. Closed in 1969. P
1911 Seaham Harbour and District Scout Association formed August 1911.  
1911 Seaham Rifle Club opened, destroyed when shelled by a German submarine on July 16th 1916. P
1912 Seaham Sea Angling Club formed. Meetings were held in the Candlish Memorial Hall. Since 1984  they have their own clubhouse, the old Dock Co Offices.  
1912 Upper Standard School opened in Princess Rd, later the Girls Grammar School. P
1912 Byron Terrace School opened. P
1912 The Empire, Seaham's first purpose built cinema opened in October, I also have a record of an opening date of 1/7/1907, last film shown was South Pacific on 31st August 1968. P
1912 Princess Theatre opened in October. P
1912 St Hild and St Helen's Church, Dawdon, (the Pitmen's Cathedral) consecrated. Foundation stone laid 16/9/1910. P
1912 Rose Cottage, Dalton le Dale, demolished. P
1912 Dawdon Hotel built, Harry Webb first landlord. P
1912 Chiltern's Brewery in Lord Street was taken over by Nimmos.  
1913 New Girl Guides HQ in the garden of Dene House.                                                P
1914 SS Seaham Harbour interned with her crew in Hamburg (Ruhleben?) when war was declared in 1914. P
1914 War declared 11th August, the crew of the German ship "Comet" berthed in Seaham Dock were arrested. P
1914 Princess Theatre opened. Closed 1970s. P
1914 Dawdon Workmen's Club opened, closed 2005?  
1914 7th Marquess provides free site and materials for Aged Miners Homes at New Seaham Park. P
1915 Seaham Hall handed over to Military for use as a war hospital/convalescent home, (1915-1919) P
1915 The Kitty, Seaham's first police station at the western end of North John Street, a soup kitchen and probably many other uses in it's later days demolished 1915. P
1916 On 12th of July a German submarine fired around 30 shells into Seaham causing slight damage and one fatality.  
1917 The bottleboat, "Oakwell" struck a mine and sank with the loss of 4 lives, March 1917. P
1920 The Infirmary in Tempest Road became Council Offices until 1964.Demolished 1969. P
c1918 During WW1, Londonderry ships "Lady Londonderry" was lost in the Thames Estuary and "Lord Stewart was torpedoed.  
1918 Londonderry ship SS Stewart's Court torpedoed within sight of Seaham. Londonderry ship Lady Helen also torpedoed and lost. P
1918 Seaham Lifeboat Elliot Galer saved 13 crew of the torpedoed "Stewart's Court". P
 

1929s

 
1920 Building Grant's Crescent began. P
1920s Kenneth Martin opened garage in Station Rd, later to become Seaham Motor Co. P
1921 Miner's strike.  
1921 Bottleworks closed. P
1921 Chaytor's butcher shop opened P
1921 Child Welfare hut opened on top of dene opposite Police Station.  
1921 Ayre's grocery business opened. In 1992 Mrs Mary Ayre aged 87 was still serving in the Adelaide Row shop. P
1922 Hall Brothers Invincibles were the first motor buses to ply between Seaham and Murton, 1922-1925. Taken over by Northern in 1925 P
1922 Cottages School (Swinebank) presented by the 7th Marquess for use as a Church Institute. Queen Alexandra Road Dawdon. P
1922 Dawdon Parish Hall and Institute erected after the Marquess donated the Cottages School and building materials for an extension.  
1922 Around 1922 a Co-op Store was opened at the junction of Lord St and Frederick St. Closed 1968.  
1922 Statue of the 6th Marquess (1852-1915) erected outside Londonderry Offices. P
1923 Joiners Cafe built on the cliffs near the old cannon emplacements, destroyed by the sea in 1938. P
1923 Sod cut for Vane Tempest Colliery, 19th November 1923.  
1923 Foundation Stone laid for Castlereagh Aged Miners' Homes. P
1923 Foundation Stone laid for Castlereagh extension to South Dock. P
1923 The Paddle tug "Hardback" built in 1901 was at Seaham from 1923 until 1956. P
1923 Doggart's drapery store opened at 58/9 Church Street, closed in January 1981. P
1924 Seaham and District Laundry opened on the Mill Bank, New Seaham, near the Cosy Cinema. P
1924 Londonderry Engine-works in Foundry Road closed. P
1925 Invincible buses replaced by Northern in 1925. P
1925 Laid up in 1925, the Londonderry ships "Newtonards" and "Longnewton" were sold in the early 1930s. P
1925 South Dock, Castlereagh Staithes built 1925. P
1925 7th Marquess provides free site and materials for Aged Miners Homes at Maglona St, Dawdon.  
1925 Seaham Harbour Engine Works, SHEW, Foundry Road closed September P
1926 Miners strike 1st May - 30th November.  
1926 Vane Tempest Colliery, sinking began. P
1926 Building of Carr House Estate, (Deneside) began, finished 1936. P
1926 St Joseph's RC Senior School opened at Low Colliery, closed 1969, pupils transferred to St Bede's, Peterlee.  
1927 Green Drive Suspension Bridge opened. Closed 1959, demolished 1961. P
1927 Seaham Hall presented by the 7th Marquess to Durham County Council for use as a sanatorium for women and children. Opened 25/2/28. P
1927 Seaham UDC's new electricity company opened. First mains electricity in the town.  
1927 Snowdon's Bakery opened in North Railway St. The Snowdon brothers had run a small off-licence and bakery in two sheds in Cornish St. Would later become Snowdon and Bailes. Sold to Rank Hovis in 1954. P
1927 Dawdon Girls School (Grammar by 1930) at Upper Standard. P
1927 Nicholson's bakers opened, closed down c1998  
1928 Roland Mawston Smith opened his motor engineering premises at New Seaham Lodge. Soon known as the Lodge Garage. P
1928 Seaham Hall opened as a sanatorium 25th February P
1928 Footbridge opened at Seaham Colliery Station, May 2nd P
1928 Rail fare Seaham to Sunderland, single 7d, return 10d  
1929 7th Marquess provides free site and materials for Aged Miners Homes at Hill Crescent, Dawdon.  
1929 Vane Tempest Colliery, first coals drawn in April. P
1929 Hostel for 8 single aged miners at East View, Seaham Park opened . Land and materials donated by Lord Londonderry.  
1929 Dalton Avenue built.  
1929 Portland Avenue Deneside, built, houses in the new Deneside streets were finished and occupied long before the roads were built. P
1929 Ramsay MacDonald becomes M.P. for Seaham, and prime minister in 1931-1935.  
1929 Eight new bells installed in St John's Church  P
 

1930s

 
1930 Seaham Intermediate School, "SIS" opened at Low Colliery, became part of Seaham Comprehensive in 1979, closed 1987. Now Parkland Nursing Home. P
1930 Camden Square Intermediate School opened, absorbed Girls Grammar School building in 1964, closed 1979 and became infants school. P
1930 County Library opened in the 'tin hut' behind the Infirmary, 16th June. P
1930 St John's C of E School (junior mixed) opened, closed 1973. Formerly National School. P
1930 Walter Oughtred opened his photographic business and continued until his death in 1979.  
1930 First "talkie" movie shown in Seaham at the Princess 30th April 1930, 'Broadway Melody' P
1930 Princess Rd Girls Grammar opened, closed 1964. P
1930s John Best opened New Seaham Garage at the top of the Avenue, Deneside, bought by Bill Padgett in 1979.  
1930 New Seaham Welfare Pavilion opened26th October P
1931 The name of Carr House Farm Estate changed to Deneside.  
1931 Deneside Recreation Grounds opened.  
1931 New west wing added to Seaham Hall Hospital. P
1931 SS Hallmoor aground on Seaham Hall beach, 17/2/1931. P
1931 Princess Rd and Maureen Tce roads laid.  
1931 Theatre Royal became a cinema, reopened with talkies on 5/10/31. First film "Big Pond" P
1932 Dawdon pithead baths opened. P
1932 All Saints Mission, Deneside opened 1/11/32, built on an acre of  land donated by Lord Londonderry. Demolished and rebuilt in 1965. P
1932 Red Star opened in Station Road. Frank Marriott, owner of Adam and Eve's Gardens and The Marlborough in North Tce applied to transfer the licence from Adam and Eve's to Red Star and promised to close the Marlborough if his application was granted.  
1932 The Marlborough, 7 North Terrace, closed (licence offered in part ex for Red Star licence) P
1932 Reuben's Arcade at the junction of Church St and Blandford Place opened. I have another reference placing the opening in December 1930 P
1932 Lending library opened in Reuben's Arcade.  
1932 Road from Dawdon Crossings to Mount Pleasant (New Seaham) opened in September.  
1932 Labour Exchange opened in Church Street, September 1932 P
1932 Rock House opened as an education centre P
1932 Deneside Coal Depot opened in august  
1932 Elevated beach railway line around the point at Featherbed Rock demolished after 3 drownings. P
1932 Royal Oak PH closed 3rd June P
1933 The Lawns, 150 old people's homes opened. P
1933 Between 1933 and 1936 many streets were demolished..... Back North Tce, Back North Railway St, John St William St and Henry St. Irish Back St, Duckyard, Pilot Tce, Wood Cottages, Foundry Houses. Swinebank Cottages and Green St. The Gasworks Cottages, Toll Cottage and the Baths. More than 3000 people re-housed. P
1933 Drinking water fountain installed at bottom of North Bank near shelter hut on beach 5/8/33  
1933 J J Willis commenced pleasure boating from the beach with motor boat "Dorothy" 4/8/33  
c1934 Walter Willson's in Henry Street demolished. P
1934 Duckyard, formerly Allason's Pottery in the mid 1800s demolished 19/9/1934. Pottery burned out before 1868. P
1934 Wood Houses, the first houses built in the new town of Seaham Harbour were originally for workmen preparing for the laying of the foundation stone of docks in 1828. Situated on what would become the Terrace Green they were soon re-erected at what would be the eastern end of Ropery Walk and remained there until demolished in 1934. P
1934 William Street demolished. P
1934 Emma Kirton's shop and cafe opened near the fountain in Dalton le Dale  
1934 John St Independent Methodist Chapel at number 16, (Oddfellow's Hall) demolished. P
1934 Co-op Store opened in Deneside, comprising butchery and grocery departments only.  
1934 Summerson's Buildings demolished. P
1934 Ellis's Bungalow burnt out on 6th April (off New Drive) Built for Colonel Walsh (Pearson's engineer, South Dock extension) c1899. P
1934 Sod cut for Oil Plant in Dene House Road on 31st of December P
1934 Seaham Colliery Air Engine Chimney (185') demolished 31st August. P
1935 SS Maureen, the last of the Londonderry Fleet sold to Teesside breakers yard. She had been HM transport 613 during WW1. P
1935 Coal and Allied Industries began producing coke and motor spirit from coal at their 59 acre site in Dene House Rd. Closed 1940. P
1935 Dene Park opened in April on land donated by the 7th Marquess. Disgracefully, he wasn't invited to open the park. P
1935 Deneside Infants' School opened.  P
1935 Electric winder at Low Pit, Seaham Colliery. P
1935 Assembly of God Chapel opened in Adolphus Street, 25th May  
1935 George Inn, The Avenue, Deneside, opened 20th December. P
1935 Scouts camp opened on 24 acres of land west of Seaton donated by George Gregson  
1935 Carr House Farm demolished, Ryton Crescent built on the site. P
1936 School Camp near Seaham Hall opened, occupied by military during the war, squatters after and demolished in the early 1960s. (possibly opened 1935) P
1936 Seaham and District Darts League formed October 1936  
1936 Woolworths Store opened in Church Street 26th March 1936. P
1936 In January the American ship West Hika ran aground on Shippersea Rocks off Easington, not re-floated for 9 months. P
1936 Building of Adelaide Row Post Office began in May  
1936 Billiard hall opened in Church Street in October, 10 tables, owners P & O & V Vincent  
1937 Vane Tempest pithead baths opened.  
1937 Demolition of the old Seaham Colliery streets began with families being transferred to the new Parkside Estate. Vacated houses were wisely left standing for people left homeless by air raids.  
1937 Seaham Harbour absorbed New Seaham, (Seaham Colliery) and became Seaham.  
1937 Deneside Junior School opened. P
1937 RNLI lifeboat "Elizabeth Wills Allen" served at Seaham 1937-1950. P
1937 Cosy Cinema opened on Mill Bank, New Seaham, 25th January, first film "In Love Again" P
1938 Snowdon's Assembly Rooms in North Railway St burned down on 12th February. P
1938 Seaton Village School closed. P
1938 Infectious Diseases Hospital, (Isolation Hospital), Princess Rd, closed.  
1939 All Seaham Schools closed on 4th September as air raid shelters were not ready.  
1939 Old Isolation Hospital in Princess Rd became a fire station. P
1939 Crompton and Harrison, steel fabricators opened on the former Modern Fuels site in Dene House Rd. P
1939 Seaham Central Townswomen's Guild formed.  
1939 Two houses in Bank Head St, Seaham Colliery became a wartime fire station.  
1939 Access to beaches denied by barbed wire.  
1939 Work on building Parkside housing estate began.  
1939 "Carmarthen Coast" mined off the harbour, 14 of its crew rescued by Seaham lifeboat " Elizabeth Wills Allen"  
 

1940s

 
1940 Old lighthouse demolished because it was in line of fire of defence guns. P
1940 The Russian cannon on the Terrace Green, presented to Seaham by Queen Victoria in 1840 sent away with the town's railings by an over zealous official to aid the war effort.  
1940 Food rationing introduced in January.  
1940 Pig rearing scheme introduced by Seaham council on old Chemical Works site  
1940 The "Green Man" erected on the site the cannon had occupied. Supposed to look like a pub it was an observation post which controlled 6 inch guns and a searchlight unit built into the cliffs between itself and Bath Tce.                                              
1940 440 houses had been completed at Parkside by September 1940.   
1940 On August 15th Seaham suffered a daylight air raid, German Heinkels and Messerschmitt 110s attacked and bombs were dropped on Dawdon. Spitfires shot down one 110. Houses were demolished in Illchester St, Stavordale St and Fenwick's Row. 12 people died, altogether there were 53 casualties, 119 people were homeless and 230 houses damaged. St Hild and St Helen's Church was damaged, repairs cost £1000.  
1941 Rabbit rearing scheme introduced by Seaham Council in February to supplement meat stocks  
1941 On the 15th February an air raid demolished the Lord Street Subway and destroyed nos 7-11 Frederick Street, 1 death. On the night of the fifteenth another raid caused major damage in Stewart St. Four died, nine were injured and 257 houses were damaged.  
1941 Clothes rationing introduced on June 1st  
1941 In an air raid on Tuesday 25th October The Seaton Colliery Inn received a direct hit and was completely demolished. The landlord's wife and a friend were killed and 12 injured. In this raid 585 houses were damaged. P
1941 On 12th November at 9.15 am 4 people were injured in Adolphus St when bombs fell without exploding.  
1942 Seaham Colliery pithead canteen opened November 7th  
1942 Air raids on 19th September killed 2 and injured 3 in the Jubilee and Queen's Ave area.  
1942 British Restaurant opened in Adelaide Row. Meals could be bought without ration coupons, a three course meal cost 10d.  
1942 Seaham Girls Training Corps formed.  
1943 British Restaurant opened in Deneside, 2nd August  
1943 Presbyterian Church in Adolphus St West destroyed by German landmine. P
1943 Seaham's worst air raid was its last, on 16th May 1943 a huge landmine exploded in the Adolphus St area. 20 died in Viceroy St, 10 in Sophia St and 3 in Adolphus St. The Presbyterian Church and 113 houses were totally demolished or beyond repair and 1120 houses damaged altogether. 147 casualties were treated. P
1943 German landmine fell on Dalton le Dale, its parachute caught in a tree and it failed to explode.  
1944 Sections of the Mulberry Harbour used in the D Day landings were made at Crompton and Harrison's engineering works in Dene House Rd. P
1945 War ends, 3266 Seaham people served in HM Forces, 181 lost their lives.  
1945 Malcolm Dillon MBE died in September.  P
1945 Calvert's opened their Church St shop in what had been Minski's premises. They formerly traded from tiny premises just south of the Empire Theatre. P
1945 Dawdon Pit Pond Swimming Club formed by Frank Watt. P
1945 York House PH opened December  
1946 A shed built by the Home Guard on the site of the bombed out Seaton Colliery Inn was dismantled and re-erected at Malvern Crescent to become the first Labour Club. Date not certain.  
1946 Cornish Street demolished. P
1947 The National Coal Board took over the Londonderry Collieries on 1st of January.  
1947 Building began of 70 steel houses in Eastlea.  
1948 Dalton le Dale's Spiritualist's Hall (John Dickeson's old paint shop) burned down. Re-opened 1949. P
1949 The7th Marquess died. P
1949 In 1949/50 the old smithy attached to the Seaton Lane Inn was demolished by new owner Joe Orton (former manager of the brickworks) to make way for the building of his new house. P
 

1950s

 
1950 First house occupied in Westlea. P
1950 Last of the Bottleworks chimneys demolished almost 30 years after it closed. The site remained as wasteland until grassed to provide a playing field for Ropery Walk School. P
1951 Pithead baths, canteen and medical centre opened at Seaham Colliery on 14th July.  
1951 Seaham Colliery canteen opened 14/7/51.  
1951 Permission granted to use Seaham's new coat of arms designed by Camden Square schoolboy Matthew Bowdler. P
1952 Seaton Railway Station closed after 117 years.  P
1953 Ball Alley at Seaham Colliery demolished. P
1953 In 1953, Dawdon Colliery still had 250 ponies and Seaham Colliery 215, by the late 1960s they had none. The Vane Tempest never had any.  
1953 Building of Sea Wall commenced, 11 groynes added in 1955. P
1954 The 8th Marquess died aged 54.  
1954 Snowdon and Bailes Bakery taken over by Rank Hovis.  
1954 Seaham Rotary Club formed.  
1955 Eleven groynes built into beach P
c1955 Dene House Farm in Castlereagh Rd demolished. P
1956 Phoenix built on the site of the Seaton Colliery Inn bombed in October 1941.  
1956 Paddle tug "Reliant" built in 1907 was at Seaham from 1956 until 1969. P
1956 Mill House Farm at High Colliery demolished. Essex Crescent now occupies the site. P
1956 St Cuthbert's RC School in Cornish St, demolished.  
1956 Seaham Inner Wheel formed.  
1956 Tom Angus opened his butcher shop in Blandford Place. P
1958 Barran's clothing factory opened in Dene House Road in 1958, it had previously operated from the disused Candlish Memorial Hall.  
1958 Twin screw tug "Wonder" at Seaham 1958-1964. P
1950s Gravestones at St. John's were removed to the south and west walls of the graveyard and the area grassed. P
1959 Old Mill, behind Mill Inn demolished. Built before 1644. It was consumed by fire in 1856, then became a blacking factory and finally a private house. P
1959 Expansion of Snowdon and Bailes bakery in 1959 and 1969 took in several neighbouring buildings including The Forresters in 1959 and The Canterbury Arms. The factory had by 1969 swallowed Nos 7 to 18 North Railway Street P
1959 Green Drive Suspension Bridge closed. Demolished 1961. P
1959 NCB boring tower drilling 3 miles from the coast at Seaham. P
1959 Hunter's Buildings east of the Golden Lion demolished. P
1960 First heart operation performed at Seaham Hall Hospital.  
 

1960s

 
1960s In the early 1960s in Dalton le Dale, St Cuthbert's Tce, Burnside House and  East End Cottages demolished.  
1960s Hunter's Buildings flattened to become car park. Good at the time, but now totally inadequate, When will the authorities realise that they are strangling the heart of the town by not providing suitable parking facilities. The town centre is a place to meet, to chat over a coffee, a day out for many people. Seaham will be a hollow place without it. Great town, great people, great beaches, great future, BUT.................................................... No apologies for the rant. P
1960s Frances St, Adolphus Street and Viceroy Street demolished in the late 50s early 60s. P
1961 New Library opened . P
1961 Seaham Ladies Circle formed 30/5/61  
1961 John O. Henderson retired as headmaster of Dawdon Junior Boys School P
1962 Parkside Methodist Church in Parkside Crescent. From 1953 Parkside Methodists met in a hut on the estate.  
1962 Dalton le Dale Vicarage, built around 1370, partially rebuilt and extended in 1670 was demolished by Frank Thubron in September 1962. P
1962 Seaham's lifeboat the "George Elmy" capsized after rescuing the crew of the fishing boat "Economy" All 10 of the lifeboat crew died and there was only one survivor from the 5 aboard the "Economy" P
1963 New lifeboat "Will and Fanny Kirby" 2nd September 1963. Taken out of service 1979. P
1963 Lifeboat "Clarissa Langdon" took the place of  "George Elmy" until "Will and Fanny Kirby" arrived.  
1963 Strangford Road rail bridge, west of York House, a road-bridge at Cornelia Tce and the road-bridge connecting Station Road to the bottom of The Avenue completed. P
1963 Parkside Infants School opened. Nursery class opened 1968.  
1964 Paddle tug "Eppleton Hall" built in 1914 was at Seaham from 1964 until 1967. P
1964 Northlea Grammar Technical School opened, became Comprehensive School in 1979. P
1964 Licence transferred from the Braddyll to the new Mallard on Stockton Rd.  Braddyll  ceased trading until last week of November 1964.  
1964 St Cuthbert's RC junior mixed and infants opened. Formerly in Cornish St from 1894 then temporarily in Seaham Park House. P
1964 New Council Suite (Offices) opened. P
1965 Mining Training Centre opened at Seaham Colliery.  
1965 Seaham Harbour Brickworks closed after 97 years. P
1965 New Seaham Harbour Dock Co Offices opened on Dock Top. P
1965 Cliff House demolished. P
1965 All Saints Church, Deneside rebuilt. P
1965 First 'hole in the heart' operation performed at Seaham Hall Hospital.  
1965 Massive subsidence on Seaham- Dalton le Dale road, road closed for two years. The stone bridge and toilets collapsed into the hole and Dalden Hall was demolished.  Dalden Hall had not been inhabited since the 1850s. P
1965 Southern end of South Terrace demolished. P
1965 Londonderry Offices became police station. P
1966 St Cuthbert's RC Church opened in Mill Road. P
1966 Braddyll demolished.  
1966 Houses in Tempest Road which ran east from the junction with Vane Tce demolished July 1966. P
1967 Dalden Hall near Dalden Tower demolished. P
1967 Twin screw tug "Chipchase" arrived in Seaham, sold in 1969. P
1967 Marlborough St (north side) demolished. P
1960s Cliff Hse demolished, 'Fine Fare' took over Billy Hoare's butcher shop and Frank Pacito's ice cream shop and opened Seaham's first supermarket. P
1968 High Colliery School (junior boys and infants) closed. Pupils transferred to Westlea School.  
1968 Westlea Junior Mixed and Infants opened.  
1968 Last film shown at the Empire Cinema was South Pacific on 31st August 1968.  
1969 St Joseph's RC Senior School at Low Colliery, opened 1926, closed 1969, pupils transferred to St Bede's, Peterlee.  
1969 Council Offices, (until 1918 the Infirmary), Tempest Rd demolished. P
1969 Dawdon Junior Schools closed. P
1969 Derek Mercer's scrap metal business began on Gallery Row site. Closed 1999.  
1969 United Methodist Church in Church St, last service 1969 when congregation moved to new Wesleyan Church in Tempest Rd. Closed Feb 1969. Site now occupied by Boots the Chemist.  P
c1969 Dawdon Co-op closed. P
1970 The Londonderry Hotel, Fenwick Row, closed in 1970. Locally known as the Parrot. P
 

1970s

 
1970 Manor House Farm on Seaton Lane demolished during construction of the new A19. This farmhouse was Seaton's earliest inn, variously called Blue House (Farm), Cockfighter Inn and The Bay Horse it was re-named Manor House Farm when the licence was transferred to the Roadside in the 1870s. P
1970 New Seaham Co-op on Mill Bank opened 1898. Closed 1970. Became the Regency Assembly Rooms in 1979.  
1971 Witten's Park, immediately east of Seaham Harbour Railway Station flattened to make way for new road. The park was named after an early Station Hotel landlord. Richard Witten was landlord from around 1873 until the early 1890s. P
1971 Seaham Harbour Railway Station (1886) demolished. P
1971 Station Hotel demolished. P
1971 Seaham Youth Centre in Strangford Rd, (Miners Walk), opened.  
1971 Emily Street demolished. P
1971 Marlborough St (south side) demolished, north side had been demolished in 1967. P
1971 Dalton le Dale Burn burst its banks and several houses were flooded to a depth of 5 feet. P
1971 Londonderry Yard immediately south of Emily St demolished.  
1972 Miner's strike.  
1972 Viceroy Street Infants School closed. Pupils transferred to Dene House Rd. Building then used as Teachers' Centre, demolished in 1988. P
1972 Dene House Rd Infants School opened, Became RC school in 1982.  
1973 New bus station south of Church St. opened, now derelict. P
1973 Church Street became a pedestrian precinct. P
1973 St John's C of E School (junior mixed) closed. Formerly National School. Demolished 1980. P
1974 Miner's strike.  
1974 New Marlborough Housing Complex completed. P
1974 In 1974 and 1977 Calverts acquired the shops at either side to extend their business in Church Street.  
1974 New Ropery Walk junior mixed and infants built.  
1974 Transfer of Local Government from Seaham to Easington. Seaham Town Council established.  
1975 Police Station in Tempest Rd, (Londonderry Rd) demolished. Built 1861. P
1975 Baughen's took over Snowdon and Bailes from Rank Hovis.  
1976 Seaham Harbour Methodist Church opened in Tempest Rd, built on the site of the old Wesleyan Methodist Church. P
1976 Jack Calvert took over Cliff House Garage from J F Skilbeck in 1976. Skilbecks originally had a small garage in North Railway Street from around 1930 which had previously belonged to the Meek Brothers for 10 years.  
1977 Co-op opened new supermarket on former Theatre Royal site.  
1977 Dawdon Workmen's Club in Princess Rd burned out.  
1978 Seaham Hall Hospital closed. P
1978 Dow House opened.  
1978 Byron House Community Centre opened near Rutherford Avenue.  
1978 Seaham Action Training Workshops opened in the empty Dawdon Co-op Store, closed 1988. P
1978 The former Seamen's Mission in South Crescent became District Scouts HQ, re-named Dow House, opened by Prince Charles 31/5/78. Seamen's Mission, re-opened as Seafarers' Centre in 1988. P
1978 Seaham Old Scouts Social Club opened in Dow House in 1978.  
1978 NCB ceased shipment of coal from Seaham Docks.  
1978 Dawdon Parish Hall closed to become a chapel of rest. P
1979 After 109 years Seaham Lifeboat Station was closed. P
1979 Demolition of the South Dock Staithes began. P
1979 Regency Assembly Rooms, owned by Fred Cordner opened on the Mill Bank in the old Co-op buildings which had closed in 1970. P
1979 Dawdon Infants' School closed, junior schools closed 1969. P
1979 Low Colliery Junior Girls and Infants School closed.  
1979 Camden Square Infants opened..  
1979 Camden Square Intermediate/Modern/Secondary School closed, pupils transferred to Seaham Comprehensive.  
1979 Princess Road (junior mixed) School opened. Former Girls Grammar School.  
 

1980s

 
1980 St John's C of E School, formerly National School., demolished. P
1980 Seaham Leisure Centre opened at Deneside.  
1981 Low Colliery Junior Girls and Infants School demolished after being closed in 1979. Kingfisher Industrial Estate now occupies the site. P
1981 Gateway Supermarket opened on former National School site in Church Street, became Kwik Save in 1991. P
1981 Doggart's drapery store opened at 58/9 Church Street in 1923, closed in January 1981. P
1982 Seaham Harbour Swimming Club closed after 102 years. P
1983 Seaham Town Council comes into existence.  
1980s Rose and Crown in Church Street closed in early 80s.  
1984 St Mary's RC junior mixed and infants bought and extended Dene House Rd School. Originally in Vane Tce from 1887 and then in old St Joseph's School in Station Rd.  
1984 Miners strike 1984/5  
1984 New Barclay's Bank opened near Dock Top. P
1985 Crompton and Harrison, steel fabricators, in Dene House Rd, closed. P
1985 Snowdon and Bailes bakery closed, operation moved to Peterlee. Factory demolished in 1994 P
1985 Elgey's Timberyard closed. P
1986 Graham Way, a new link road opened. P
1986 Restored Londonderry wagon placed on Dock Top.  
1986 Beau Brummel's (Barrans?) clothing factory housed in the former Drill Hall in Castlereagh Road destroyed by fire. Rebuilt within a year. P
1987 Seaham Intermediate/Modern/Secondary School closed. Now Parkland Nursing Home. P
1987 Major railway accident on Incline at North Railway St. P
1987 Seaham Colliery closed and became part of Vane Tempest Colliery. P
1988 Incline to docks closed and lines removed.  
1988 Seamen's Mission, re-opened as Seafarers' Centre by Princess Anne.  
1988 Seaham Hall became a Nursing home. Nursing home closed 1995.  
1988 Viceroy Street Infants School demolished. P
1989 Co-op took over the old Woolworth's store in Church Street.  
1989 Helen and Edith Streets, Dawdon Colliery officials houses demolished in 1989. P
 

1990s

 
1990 Dawdon Hotel demolished after fire. Built 1912. P
1990 Pit wheel memorial, erected on Dock Top with ship's anchors and Londonderry Arms foundation stone. P
1991 Coal production ended at Dawdon Colliery on 26th of July 1991.  
1992 Dawdon Colliery Winding Towers demolished on 26th of January 1992. P
1992 Seaham Colliery, High Pit Heapstead demolished in November.  P
1992 Coal production ceased at Vane Tempest Colliery on October 23rd.  
1994 Londonderry Institute in Tempest Road converted into16 flats by Durham Aged Mineworkers' Homes Assoc. P
1994 Vane Tempest heapsteads demolished. P
1995 Seaham Hall Care Home closed.  
1997 Dempsey's Bar opened in North Terrace in 1977. P
1997 Seaham Hall bought by Tom Maxfield and converted into world class hotel. Sold to new owners in 2008.      P  
2002 Seaham won the Outstanding Achievement in Regeneration Award in the Turning The Tide project jointly with the Eden Project.  
2003 Building of East Shore Village on the former Vane Tempest Colliery site began. P
2006 Londonderry Offices/Police Station converted to flats and re-named Marquess Point. P  
2008 Kestrel Closed P
2010 Co-op store in Green Street closed.  
  LAST UPDATED October 20th 2013  

pages from www.east-durham.co.uk

Zentek Design